Old 03-01-2005, 11:54 PM
San Diego Joe

Default String Algae - What To Do?

"Otto Pylot" wrote:

Howdy all,
We had an outdoor pond installed last July. About 1100 gallons with a 5
foot waterfall meandering down a 6 foot stream. Biological filters
(including lava rocks) with an autofill valve. We have 5 Shibukin gold
fish (with countless mosquito fish as well!) so far and plan on putting
in some Koi this summer. We treat it every two weeks with Pond-Zyme
Plus and it has stayed crystal clear until the rains came. We've had a
lot of rain here in Northern California the last few weeks and now
there is a lot of string algae growing. Nothing is on the rocks where
waterfall is only in the pond itself. Water is flowing smoothly and the
fileters are looking good. Is this normal for the weather condition and
will the string algae go away or do we need to do anything now? This is
our first winter season so we're not sure what to do and we'd hate to
put in any chemicals that would harm the fish or make the pond
chemically dependent. Thanks.

Where we live, we have some of the same problem in winter. From what I can
figure out, the water is too cold for the plants that compete with the algae
- lilies, hyacinth, etc, but still warm enough for the algae. A little
colder than now and the algae goes away too. Don't bother with the
chemicals. You'll also find the same problem in spring as the water heats
up. As you get more established, it is way less of a problem.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.