Old 03-01-2005, 11:54 PM
San Diego Joe

Default String Algae - What To Do?

"Otto Pylot" wrote:

Howdy all,
We had an outdoor pond installed last July. About 1100 gallons with a 5
foot waterfall meandering down a 6 foot stream. Biological filters
(including lava rocks) with an autofill valve. We have 5 Shibukin gold
fish (with countless mosquito fish as well!) so far and plan on putting
in some Koi this summer. We treat it every two weeks with Pond-Zyme
Plus and it has stayed crystal clear until the rains came. We've had a
lot of rain here in Northern California the last few weeks and now
there is a lot of string algae growing. Nothing is on the rocks where
waterfall is only in the pond itself. Water is flowing smoothly and the
fileters are looking good. Is this normal for the weather condition and
will the string algae go away or do we need to do anything now? This is
our first winter season so we're not sure what to do and we'd hate to
put in any chemicals that would harm the fish or make the pond
chemically dependent. Thanks.

Where we live, we have some of the same problem in winter. From what I can
figure out, the water is too cold for the plants that compete with the algae
- lilies, hyacinth, etc, but still warm enough for the algae. A little
colder than now and the algae goes away too. Don't bother with the
chemicals. You'll also find the same problem in spring as the water heats
up. As you get more established, it is way less of a problem.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:51 AM
William Oertell

Lots of string algae here in the Sacramento Valley, too. More than last
year. I was talking to the gal at Floratropicana and she said her string
algae is worse than she's seen it before. Don't know why. I've heard it's
not bad for the bond. It just looks awful. There's not really a lot you
can do about it but keep it as clear as you can. Some kinds of fish can get
tangled up in the stuff, so you want to keep the stuff to a minimum.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: replacing invalid with sonic.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 AM
Tom L. La Bron

William,

I had a bad bout with string algae last spring (Probably because I started
up my pond so early) and AlgeFix and EcoFix used according to the
instructions and for the properly lengths of time worked great at getting
rid of it.

In the later part of the summer I got a little back in the ponds, but didn't
treat it because it usually shows up in the late summer when it gets the
hottest and then goes away when it cools off.

Tom L.L.
==============================

Old 04-01-2005, 05:08 AM
Crashj

On or about 3 Jan 2005 16:57:03 -0600, Otto Pylot
wrote something like:

Howdy all,
We had an outdoor pond installed last July.

there is a lot of string algae growing.

Barley straw apparently doses the pond with hydrogen peroxide (well,
it's a theory) that inhibits the growth of string algae. I also derive
hours or minutes of amusement twirling it onto a rough dowel and
pulling it up.

"Everything you need to know you learned in kindergarten or grad
school. In between is a vast wasteland of ignorance."
--
Crashj

Old 04-01-2005, 05:29 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 3 Jan 2005 16:57:03 -0600, Otto Pylot wrote:

[...]

Otto,

Do you have any test kits? With all that rain you should be watching your
pH and KH, and run ammonia & nitrite. Any test you have, check your water
parameters. Every time you have a problem check your water parameters.

String Algae can pop up for no reason, but most often IME, a sudden change
in the water chemistry brings it on. It will go away and is probably a good
thing right now, as I suspect something is out-of-balance due to reduction
in buffering and/or ground run-off. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 04-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Stephen Henning

Otto Pylot wrote:

[...]

The biological filters are key to removing the nutrients that are
feeding the algae. The rain is also a lack of sun light and lower
temperatures. With less light and lower temperatures, you need more bio
mass to remove the nutrients from the water. You can start by reducing
the amount you are feeding the fish until the water clears up. You can
use more plants. You have an early warning that your pond was on the
edge and needs better management.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 04-01-2005, 05:10 PM
ex WGS Hamm

wrote something like:

Howdy all,
We had an outdoor pond installed last July.

there is a lot of string algae growing.

Barley straw apparently doses the pond with hydrogen peroxide (well,
it's a theory) that inhibits the growth of string algae. I also derive
hours or minutes of amusement twirling it onto a rough dowel and
pulling it up.

"Everything you need to know you learned in kindergarten or grad
school. In between is a vast wasteland of ignorance."

Here in UK barley straw is used a lot for this. I use it myself. I has to
be barley straw though. I place a good lump of it into a nylon net which
onions are sold in, and weight it down with half a brick or something. The
results are not as instant as chemicals but I believe in the long run far
better and of course cheaper too. I have a 2000 gallon pond in full sunlight
in summer (when we get any) and mine does get a lot of this stuff, but by
adding my net of fresh barley straw in late spring, it is so clean and clear
I can see right down to the bottom which is some 5 foot at the deepest part
in the centre. I had to use a ladder to climb out when I was digging it :0)