Old 03-01-2005, 12:05 AM
andrewpreece

"Glen Able" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
We have sprigs of mimosa in the house! I don't think I've ever known it
bloom so early and neither has Ray, who has known it for much longer

than
have!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Does anyone know if any of the Acacia species would stand a chance in
Oxfordshire, or am I out of luck?

ta,
G.A.

I had heard that Acacia Dealbata was OK down to -7C for short periods, but
don't quote me on that. I have lived in Oxfordshire and coastal Devon, and
trust me, your frosts are much harder: I have memories of trying to scrape
rock-hard ice off my car windscreen days in succession. Who knows, you might
get away with it if you can plant an Acacia in a corner between walls that
face south and west. Have you seen any Acacias in Oxfordshire? That's the
best indication you'll get of whether it's feasible or not.

Andy.