Old 02-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Sacha

Default Mimosa!

We have sprigs of mimosa in the house! I don't think I've ever known it
bloom so early and neither has Ray, who has known it for much longer than I
have!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Robert

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
: We have sprigs of mimosa in the house! I don't think I've ever known it
: bloom so early and neither has Ray, who has known it for much longer than
: have!
: --
: Sacha
: www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
: South Devon
: (remove the weeds to email me)

No never, our neighbour is lucky if his flowers in Summer and we are in
Plymouth

Old 03-01-2005, 12:05 AM
andrewpreece

"Glen Able" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
We have sprigs of mimosa in the house! I don't think I've ever known it
bloom so early and neither has Ray, who has known it for much longer

than
have!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Does anyone know if any of the Acacia species would stand a chance in
Oxfordshire, or am I out of luck?

ta,
G.A.

I had heard that Acacia Dealbata was OK down to -7C for short periods, but
don't quote me on that. I have lived in Oxfordshire and coastal Devon, and
trust me, your frosts are much harder: I have memories of trying to scrape
rock-hard ice off my car windscreen days in succession. Who knows, you might
get away with it if you can plant an Acacia in a corner between walls that
face south and west. Have you seen any Acacias in Oxfordshire? That's the
best indication you'll get of whether it's feasible or not.

Andy.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Dave Poole

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:30:57 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

We have sprigs of mimosa in the house! I don't think I've ever known it
bloom so early and neither has Ray, who has known it for much longer than I
have!

I noticed that Acacia baileyana is out here in Torquay, as are a few
bits of dealbata. For baileyana, the timing is about right, but
dealbata is a good 3 weeks ahead of itself. Dare I mention that
Strelitzia reginae growing near to the fence in the banana border has
a flower spike peeking out?

This looks to be a second 'non-winter'- here with only a couple of
light frosts so far. For many years, all of the cold weather was
usually out of the way by the end of January, allowing spring to start
in Feb. Last year brought a change. No cold weather at all until mid
January, by which time everything here was growing away madly. Then
came a 2 week long cold spell, with several minus 2C nights and days
when temps failed to rise above 5C. The damage caused in my garden
was the worst I've experienced.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 04-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Glen Able" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
We have sprigs of mimosa in the house! I don't think I've ever known it
bloom so early and neither has Ray, who has known it for much longer

than
have!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Does anyone know if any of the Acacia species would stand a chance in
Oxfordshire, or am I out of luck?

ta,
G.A.

Acacia retonoides does well in the home counties, but grow any experiments
on to a good size before planting out (I have found small plants more
susceptible to frost damage) Acacia fimbriata is often recommended down here
for outdoors but so far only my greenhouse plant is thriving (very
attractive though and filling the greenhouse with scent atm)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Fran

"Glen Able" wrote in message

Does anyone know if any of the Acacia species would stand a chance in
Oxfordshire, or am I out of luck?

This site might help you choose a variety.
http://www.anbg.gov.au/acacia/list.html

Acacia floribunda doesn't mind cold but prefers a dry spot.

Old 04-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Dave Poole

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:02:27 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Acacia retonoides does well in the home counties, but grow any experiments
on to a good size before planting out (I have found small plants more
susceptible to frost damage) Acacia fimbriata is often recommended down here
for outdoors but so far only my greenhouse plant is thriving (very
attractive though and filling the greenhouse with scent atm)

I grew Acacia retinoides out of doors successfully in the Midlands
where it did quite well until the massive freeze of 81/82. It may be
worth trying against a warm sunny wall and its summer flowering
tendencies mean that there is less of a risk of frost damaging young
flower buds. Even 'Prickly Moses' - Acacia verticillata came through
several winters in Droitwich. where it created a mass of vivid canary
yellow each March. It was planted against the outside wall of a frost
free greenhouse, sheltered from freezing winds.

A few years ago, Reads of Norfolk (http://www.readsnursery.co.uk)
marketed a remarkably hardy Tasmanian species - Acacia pataczekii
which they claimed to have easily withstood temps down to -14C in
Norfolk! I couldn't find it on their current website, but its got to
be worth a punt. I've not grown it, but have seen pics and they are
highly impressive.

Even Acacia dealbata can be persuaded to grow in colder parts of the
country, but its soft growth and flower buds are easily bitten by
frost, leaving the plants somewhat burnt until they resume growth in
spring. If you are going to try it in more northern counties (above
the imaginary line between the Thames and Bristol) , a really warm,
sheltered house wall is obligatory .... and expect to lose flowers in
all by the mildest of winters.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Glen Able

wrote:

[...]

Interesting, the retinoides sounds like my best bet. How big does this one
get?

thanks,
G.A.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Glen Able

wrote:

[...]

Ahh, I found it eventually - height 4-8m, spread 3-7m. Could probably just
about get away with that in my narrow garden.. I'll have a think and will
possibly order one when spring has sprung (Alternatively I'm contemplating
a Malus 'Golden Hornet' for the same spot).

Mimosa Tree Joyce Gardening 7 11-10-2011 12:43 PM
I am guilty of mimosa killing rosymosa United Kingdom 4 05-10-2011 12:07 PM
Mimosa Tree Peter Donovan Bonsai 1 13-09-2003 08:12 AM
Mimosa The Devil's Advocate United Kingdom 4 13-04-2003 09:20 PM
mimosa Derek Turner United Kingdom 0 29-10-2002 05:35 PM