Old 30-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:49:13 GMT, "Brigitte"
wrote:

What does "harden off" mean? And how do you accomplish this, "hardening
off"?

Hardening off is simply allowing the plants to acclimate to the
change in growing conditions between where they were started
and where they'll be grown.

In my case, seeds are started under artificial lights on seed
warming pads. When I move them outside, they need at least
a few days to get used to the more intense natural sunlight
and to the fluctuating temperature. If I were to put them
straight into the garden from the house, the leaves would most
likely be sun burnt, the plants would most likely get shocky, and
some would die. A gradual transition makes for happier, healthier
plants.

Here's a site that might help, too:

http://www.ehow.com/how_12176_harden-seedlings.html

Penelope