Old 06-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Glen Able

"Glen Able" wrote in message

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:02:27 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Acacia retonoides does well in the home counties, but grow any

experiments
on to a good size before planting out (I have found small plants more
susceptible to frost damage) Acacia fimbriata is often recommended down

here
for outdoors but so far only my greenhouse plant is thriving (very
attractive though and filling the greenhouse with scent atm)

I grew Acacia retinoides out of doors successfully in the Midlands
where it did quite well until the massive freeze of 81/82. It may be
worth trying against a warm sunny wall and its summer flowering
tendencies mean that there is less of a risk of frost damaging young
flower buds. Even 'Prickly Moses' - Acacia verticillata came through
several winters in Droitwich. where it created a mass of vivid canary
yellow each March. It was planted against the outside wall of a frost
free greenhouse, sheltered from freezing winds.

Interesting, the retinoides sounds like my best bet. How big does this

one
get?

Ahh, I found it eventually - height 4-8m, spread 3-7m. Could probably just
about get away with that in my narrow garden.. I'll have a think and will
possibly order one when spring has sprung (Alternatively I'm contemplating
a Malus 'Golden Hornet' for the same spot).