Old 03-01-2005, 01:52 AM
Loki

il Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:34:22 GMT, "Garry Nixon" ha scritto:

I found this problemin 2003. The advice I had was that if you grew no
members of this family (allium is it?): onions, leeks, garlic for several
seasons, then the spores, virus whatever the hell it is, would die. I say
'several years' because I've been given all kinds of different advice. But
I grew none this last year, and will grow none next, and keep my fingers
crossed and plant some in 2006. It's a poor state of affairs, having to buy
garlic from a shop

I agree it seems to be an increasing problem.

Good luck with it.

Those spores blow on the wind, but mulching may help keep the soil
ones down but who knows. It is a shame.
Unfortunately rust affects the hollyhocks and the rhubarb too. A lot
of plants :-(
I think even if I left it for a few years there's too many plants
around with rust. And I can't just pull out my neighbours plants for
all the inattention they pay them. Tempting though it be...

I yanked a few garlic out today and they seem ok, just a bit early.
The rust doesn't infect the cloves it seems. I wonder how they would
grow in a pot?
--
Cheers,