Old 01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Magdalena Bassett

Default Organic garlic growers

Are there newsgroups which talk directly about organic garlic growing?
Thanks
Magdalena Bassett
Old 02-01-2005, 04:50 AM
Steve

Magdalena Bassett wrote:

Are there newsgroups which talk directly about organic garlic growing?
Thanks
Magdalena Bassett

There seem to be newsgroups on every conceivable subject, but.....
I think you are getting a little too specialized to expect a group on
just that.
There is the newsgroup "rec.gardens.organic". I just took a look at that
and they only had 10 new threads started in the last year and some
(most?) of those were spam. No help there.

Steve
Old 02-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Loki

il Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:50:27 -0500, Steve ha scritto:

Magdalena Bassett wrote:

Are there newsgroups which talk directly about organic garlic growing?
Thanks
Magdalena Bassett

There seem to be newsgroups on every conceivable subject, but.....
I think you are getting a little too specialized to expect a group on
just that.
There is the newsgroup "rec.gardens.organic". I just took a look at that
and they only had 10 new threads started in the last year and some
(most?) of those were spam. No help there.

There are also some sites just on garlic, unfortunately I can't view
them well but a Google on garlic will find them. Garlicworld was one.
http://www.garlicworld.co.uk/garden/page4.html

And this has a chat on garlic
http://www.naturalhub.com/grow_veget...ype_garlic.htm

And those are just on the first page of a search on garlic
cultivation.

My garlic are currently covered in rust and I suspect the only
solution is to wave a flame thrower over the soil to kill any spores.
However I don't have one handy. ;-). It also seems to be a growing
problem, Only the leeks are immune it seems.
--
Cheers,

Old 02-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Garry Nixon

My garlic are currently covered in rust and I suspect the only
solution is to wave a flame thrower over the soil to kill any spores.
However I don't have one handy. ;-). It also seems to be a growing
problem, Only the leeks are immune it seems.
--
Cheers,
Loki

I found this problemin 2003. The advice I had was that if you grew no
members of this family (allium is it?): onions, leeks, garlic for several
seasons, then the spores, virus whatever the hell it is, would die. I say
'several years' because I've been given all kinds of different advice. But
I grew none this last year, and will grow none next, and keep my fingers
crossed and plant some in 2006. It's a poor state of affairs, having to buy
garlic from a shop

I agree it seems to be an increasing problem.

Good luck with it.

Garry
http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/

Old 03-01-2005, 01:52 AM
Loki

il Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:34:22 GMT, "Garry Nixon" ha scritto:

I found this problemin 2003. The advice I had was that if you grew no
members of this family (allium is it?): onions, leeks, garlic for several
seasons, then the spores, virus whatever the hell it is, would die. I say
'several years' because I've been given all kinds of different advice. But
I grew none this last year, and will grow none next, and keep my fingers
crossed and plant some in 2006. It's a poor state of affairs, having to buy
garlic from a shop

I agree it seems to be an increasing problem.

Good luck with it.

Those spores blow on the wind, but mulching may help keep the soil
ones down but who knows. It is a shame.
Unfortunately rust affects the hollyhocks and the rhubarb too. A lot
of plants :-(
I think even if I left it for a few years there's too many plants
around with rust. And I can't just pull out my neighbours plants for
all the inattention they pay them. Tempting though it be...

I yanked a few garlic out today and they seem ok, just a bit early.
The rust doesn't infect the cloves it seems. I wonder how they would
grow in a pot?
--
Cheers,

Old 04-01-2005, 02:07 AM
Magdalena Bassett

Magdalena Bassett wrote:

[...]

Thank you, I will try that.
Magdalena

Old 04-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Registered User

A solution for spring onions is to mow them and let them regrow clear. It may be worth trying with garlic too. An organic remedy ( found on the net so not tried personally) is

A heaped tablespoon of wood ash is stirred vigorously into a litre of water, left to stand overnight, strained and mixed with a cup of sour milk or buttermilk. Before spraying the mixture is diluted 3 times with water, but the strength of the solution should be checked by a trial on a small area of plants to ascertain the most effective dilution.

Rust on leeks is not related to rust on onions. Leek rust is often associated with high nitrogen and low potassium, so a potassium rich fertliser ( such as many tomato feeds ) can be useful.

A 1999 trial found that non US sourced garlic was less susceptible to rust.