Old 09-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Mike Lyle

ashnook wrote:
I want to grow coriander for cullinary use (leaves in currys,

salads
etc.) but people tell me it is difficult to grow and bolts easily.

have a greenhouse and conservetory.

Can I start some off now in pots on the conservetory and then as
spring arrives also in the greenhouse? I am thinking about fairly
thick sowing in large-ish pots. How often to sow for a succession?

Any suggestions or success stories?

It's easy as long as you a) buy the correct variety (traditional
English kind produces seed at the expense of leaves: look for
"Cilantro" or another variety stated on the packet to be for
leaf-production), and b) sow small quantities in succession -- I'd do
a batch once a fortnight.

I find that, like other things, it'll run to seed if you don't water
enough. Last year I had trouble with mould on some which weren't well
enough lit and watered.

Mike.