Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Timothy" wrote in message
news:1105290954.575aa172ac015d3fc0447d2f8286b7ed@t eranews...
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:26:53 -0600, John Prokovich wrote:

Neee a new one Lowes has a Troy-Bilt for $279 and Home Depot has a Toro
for the same price. Features are pretty close. My honda 13 years of

heavy
use is too worn out to fix Which brand should I get?
John
Saint Charles, MO

Good day John. I would have serious doubts that a lawn mower that costs
less than $300.00 will last for more 5 years of heavy use. It sounds like
you use your mower enough to warrent the purchase of a high end consumer
mower or a low end commercial mower. I would assume that you would be very
disapointed when your in need of fixing this machine in two years.

If your willing to spend say.. $450.00 you could get a new, mid level
consumer honda. Or you could find a used commercial toro/john deere/ honda
that will last 10+ years easily.

Before you or someone eles goes off on me about this or that... I suggest
that you take a good hard look at those big box store mowers and compare
them to your dead honda. The deck metal is thinner/cheaper all the way
down to the wheels made of cheap plastic instead of rubber. The push bars
are made of pot-metal and the moter are just crap. Just my observations as
of late, take them as you may.
Good luck with your mower purchases.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

A mower less than $300 won't last 5 years ? I have 2 el cheapos ($150
each) - identical, one from Wards and the other from Penny's (MTD I
guess) - single lever height adjustment, baggers, convertable side or rear
discharge - that I use to brush hog small sumacs, berry bushes, my drainage
ditch, suck up leaves, volunteer mow cemetery, etc - that are doing fine.
Can't remember how old they are but Wards has been out of business that long
and Pennys stop selling hardware long ago.