Old 09-01-2005, 02:26 AM
John Prokovich

Default lawn mower

Neee a new one Lowes has a Troy-Bilt for $279 and Home Depot has a Toro
for the same price. Features are pretty close.
My honda 13 years of heavy use is too worn out to fix
Which brand should I get?
John
Saint Charles, MO

Old 09-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Romy Beeck

Buy another honda. They last forever and there rated the best.Sure they cost
more but there worth it.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:11 PM
willshak

On 1/8/2005 9:26 PM US(ET), John Prokovich took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

Neee a new one Lowes has a Troy-Bilt for $279 and Home Depot has a Toro
for the same price. Features are pretty close.
My honda 13 years of heavy use is too worn out to fix
Which brand should I get?
John
Saint Charles, MO

That's a tough one, John.
They are both Red, so that eliminates having to make a color choice.
Price is the same too.
Features are pretty close. Do they both have a motor, blade, wheels, and
a handle?
What other information have you provided?
Oh, the name on the decal that indicates the company that outsourced the
manufacturing of the mower.
I don't have either brand, and my 20 year old Craftsman won't die, so I
can't justify buying one with a different name to try.
I'll have to choose using some other criteria.
I'm from NY, and there is a city named Troy here, besides, Toro reminds
me of Barcelona, Spain, where the beer was salty, so I vote Troy.
Oh, and I like the wider aisles in my Lowes.

--
Bill
Old 09-01-2005, 02:42 PM
willshak

On 1/9/2005 8:05 AM US(ET), Romy Beeck took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

Buy another honda. They last forever and there rated the best.Sure they cost
more but there worth it.

Forever? His Honda lasted 13 years. My Craftsman is over 20 years old
and still running with its B&S engine. Looks like shit, but still works.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Romy Beeck

"willshak" wrote in message
On 1/9/2005 8:05 AM US(ET), Romy Beeck took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Buy another honda. They last forever and there rated the best.Sure they
cost more but there worth it.

Forever? His Honda lasted 13 years. My Craftsman is over 20 years old and
still running with its B&S engine. Looks like shit, but still works.
But he cuts his lawn for 2hrs and you cut for 15 min. What ever!! haahha
Like i always say you get what you pay for..

Old 09-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Timothy

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:26:53 -0600, John Prokovich wrote:

Neee a new one Lowes has a Troy-Bilt for $279 and Home Depot has a Toro
for the same price. Features are pretty close. My honda 13 years of heavy
use is too worn out to fix Which brand should I get?
John
Saint Charles, MO

Good day John. I would have serious doubts that a lawn mower that costs
less than $300.00 will last for more 5 years of heavy use. It sounds like
you use your mower enough to warrent the purchase of a high end consumer
mower or a low end commercial mower. I would assume that you would be very
disapointed when your in need of fixing this machine in two years.

If your willing to spend say.. $450.00 you could get a new, mid level
consumer honda. Or you could find a used commercial toro/john deere/ honda
that will last 10+ years easily.

Before you or someone eles goes off on me about this or that... I suggest
that you take a good hard look at those big box store mowers and compare
them to your dead honda. The deck metal is thinner/cheaper all the way
down to the wheels made of cheap plastic instead of rubber. The push bars
are made of pot-metal and the moter are just crap. Just my observations as
of late, take them as you may.
Good luck with your mower purchases.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Timothy" wrote in message
news:1105290954.575aa172ac015d3fc0447d2f8286b7ed@t eranews...
[...]

A mower less than $300 won't last 5 years ? I have 2 el cheapos ($150
each) - identical, one from Wards and the other from Penny's (MTD I
guess) - single lever height adjustment, baggers, convertable side or rear
discharge - that I use to brush hog small sumacs, berry bushes, my drainage
ditch, suck up leaves, volunteer mow cemetery, etc - that are doing fine.
Can't remember how old they are but Wards has been out of business that long
and Pennys stop selling hardware long ago.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:20 PM
willshak

On 1/9/2005 1:35 PM US(ET), Srgnt Billko took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

"Timothy" wrote in message
[...]

Wards is back.
http://www.wards.com/wards/page1.asp?pid=8

--
Bill

Old 10-01-2005, 11:05 AM
op4_camper

"
A mower less than $300 won't last 5 years ? I have 2 el cheapos ($150
each) - identical, one from Wards and the other from Penny's (MTD I
guess) - single lever height adjustment, baggers, convertable side or rear
discharge - that I use to brush hog small sumacs, berry bushes, my
drainage
ditch, suck up leaves, volunteer mow cemetery, etc - that are doing fine.
Can't remember how old they are but Wards has been out of business that
long
and Pennys stop selling hardware long ago.

You should try a cheap mower today. There worse then evern. They dont even
come close to a cheap mower made 15 yrs ago.

Old 16-01-2005, 05:28 AM
Justbrilliant

still use my 2 stroke Lawn Boy that I bought use for $25. back in 1978.
There is nothing to wear out. I was just in my garage and pulled three
times. it started, in January Couldn't tell you if they still make them.

"

Old 19-01-2005, 01:22 PM

I think he's also forgotten that a mower that cost $150 back when
Montgomery Wards
was the alternative to Sears and HD didn't exist, now costs a lot more
than that, when adjusted for inflation.
Another overlooked fact is how much use a mower gets. A person with a
small lawn
who mow once a week, could get many more years of use out of someone
who cuts 1/3
of an acre more frequently.

I have a Honda Harmony 215 that is fantastic. Reliable, mulchs
excellent so the lawn
looks great, and quiet.