Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Allyb

Default how to keep the yeast warm

Hi, just thought I'd share a little trick I've discovered. I've never come
across anything about this, and if anyone who reads this has, I'd love to
have the link.
I live in central Florida, and my 55g aquarium is on an porch which is
enclosed, but not heated or cooled. Of course I heat the aquarium, but have
had problems with my diy CO2 production fluctuating with the ambient
temperature. When it's in the high 80's on the porch, tons of CO2 is
produced, and when it's in the 40's virtually none is. My solution was to
build a little wood shelf that allows the yeast mixture (which I keep in
three soda bottles) to sit up against the aquarium glass (behind the
aquarium which also keeps them out of sight). I then built a little
enclosure out of leftover insulation board that goes around the other three
sides of the bottles along with a little insulated cover so I can get to
them for maintenance. Voila, the bottles are now kept at the same,
relatively constant, temperature that the aquarium is. It has worked great
so far, my CO2 production is wonderfully consistent now. I'm gonna feel
really stupid if you guys send me 5,000 links of sites that describe how to
do this, or mock me for not having a pressurized system, but oh well. I
felt like sharing Allison