Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Ozdude

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Ozdude" wrote in message
u...
snip
Just a cautiionary: did you bathe the wild plants in Alum to rid them of

any
parasites or snails?

Just wondering?

snip

PP is a great tool as well. Very dangerous, but a good tool if you are
careful.

http://www.iheartmypond.com/Treatmen...mPermanganate/

I think Hydrogen Peroxide might be better:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/doc...per.shtml#h2o2

and

http://www.aquaticrealm.com/index.ph..._view&id=10015

It can neutralise Potassium Permanganate if you overdose with it, as well
doing all sorts of things to algae, and various parasites which infect the
gills and skin of fish. It kills snails and parasites on plants too, then
beaks down into hydrogen and oxygen -magic really.

I am going to investigate it myself after my loach dying this afternoon. I
am scared there is something in my tank now.;(

Mr loach had very slimy skin with a large hole in his right dorsal region
and I tested my water before a 10% water change. pH was 7.8 (usual these
days), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0.50 - hence the water change.

I'll keep an eye on the Tetras that remain now and if they show any skin
problems like itch or holes like the loach had I'm going for the H2O2

Oz