Old 12-01-2005, 08:54 PM
MartyWeiser

Tim,

I agree with Jim that waiting a year to separate the old branch is a good
idea. I would also cut it off in stages - nip about 1/3 of the way through
this spring, nip another 1/3 through in mid summer if it continues to grow
well, and make the final cut next spring. If you grafted to make a branch
shorter I would also not cut off all of the old branch beyond the graft at
once. I have heard that this can result in too much sap pressure on the
graft which can spoil a newly healed graft. I have used this approach to
cutting off the approach grafts quite successfully on Scots Pine (P.
sylvestris).

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++