Old 12-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Rob Halgren

Richard Baptista wrote:
I have been trying to grow Orchids for a while without any success, However,
I now have a yellow Phalaenopsis that has a new spike. Unfortunately, this
is growing at an acute angle from the plant.
How do I straighten it to upright without damaging it? -- Many Thanks.

I think you mean obtuse... Or we are using different planes of
reference... Anyway, the spike will probably get mostly upright on its
own. I would let it get to a foot (or maybe a little less) before
tinkering with it. At that point, put a few plant stakes in the pot,
and tie or clip your phal spike up a bit. They are pretty flexible when
small, but you will want to be careful. Perhaps you can get it more
erect in a couple passes a few days apart. Use loose attachments, the
inflorescence will probably increase a bit in diameter as it lengthens.

Some phals would actually look better with spikes held horizontally or
even pendant. I'm thinking things like violacea and some of the others
that bloom sequentially on long lasting inflorescences.

I don't know that straight up is that attractive... Nothing wrong with
30 or 40 degrees away from vertical. Also, I find that phals are more
attractive when the last attachment of the inflorescence to the stake is
below the first shield (or dormant bud). That way the flowers can
gracefully arch. A very heavy or very long inflorescence may need a
little help in the middle of the arch, sometimes they can snap under
their own weight.

But what do I know, I grow paphs... *grin*

Rob
2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )