Old 12-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Richard Baptista

Default My First Phalaenopsis in Spike

I have been trying to grow Orchids for a while without any success, However,
I now have a yellow Phalaenopsis that has a new spike. Unfortunately, this
is growing at an acute angle from the plant.
How do I straighten it to upright without damaging it? -- Many Thanks.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Rob Halgren

Richard Baptista wrote:
I have been trying to grow Orchids for a while without any success, However,
I now have a yellow Phalaenopsis that has a new spike. Unfortunately, this
is growing at an acute angle from the plant.
How do I straighten it to upright without damaging it? -- Many Thanks.

I think you mean obtuse... Or we are using different planes of
reference... Anyway, the spike will probably get mostly upright on its
own. I would let it get to a foot (or maybe a little less) before
tinkering with it. At that point, put a few plant stakes in the pot,
and tie or clip your phal spike up a bit. They are pretty flexible when
small, but you will want to be careful. Perhaps you can get it more
erect in a couple passes a few days apart. Use loose attachments, the
inflorescence will probably increase a bit in diameter as it lengthens.

Some phals would actually look better with spikes held horizontally or
even pendant. I'm thinking things like violacea and some of the others
that bloom sequentially on long lasting inflorescences.

I don't know that straight up is that attractive... Nothing wrong with
30 or 40 degrees away from vertical. Also, I find that phals are more
attractive when the last attachment of the inflorescence to the stake is
below the first shield (or dormant bud). That way the flowers can
gracefully arch. A very heavy or very long inflorescence may need a
little help in the middle of the arch, sometimes they can snap under
their own weight.

But what do I know, I grow paphs... *grin*

Rob
2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )

Old 12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Phalguy

Hello!

Let the nature works! The spike will find a way to grow properly!

Good growing

Claude

Old 12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Phalguy

Old 12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Rob Halgren

Weee! Newsreaders gone wild! Some newsreaders will do anything for a
free t-shirt.

Sorry about the multiple postings, above.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
keith ;-\)

I agree,you will probably only snap it and be totally gutted if you try and
force against nature.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 PM
samaki

I stake mine and I am very happy with that, because i don`t have much space
on my windowsill. When the spikes are not staked the risk of breaking them
while moving the plants (eg. to water them) is much bigger. BTW four of my
phal hybrids are in bloom now, but I don`t know how to persuade my phal.
hieroglyphica to bloom.

greetings from Poland
Martha

news:1105562446.a6ad27b623152d311da8fad351f78c83@t eranews...

Old 13-01-2005, 02:08 AM
J Fortuna

Richard and Martha,

Congratulations on the Phals in spike!

I agree with both Martha and with Rob on these points:

Martha wrote:
When the spikes are not staked the risk of breaking them
while moving the plants (eg. to water them) is much bigger.

However, ...

Rob wrote:
Some phals would actually look better with spikes held horizontally or
even pendant.

I think both of these points have lots of merits. I have broken some Phal
spikes because they were not staked well enough, and there are some Phals
that I cannot leave unstaked because they just want to head straight for the
window and the danger of decapitating them with the window blinds is too
great unless they are persuaded to move in another direction.

Some Phal's spikes though resist all efforts of taming in my experience. For
example, I have one Phal that's blooming right now that has a spike that is
fairly straight and inflexible that goes about 25 inches in one direction,
then it has done almost a complete u-turn and has grown 10 inches in the
opposite direction. I have tried staking it as best as I could but that's
not really good enough, and it's fairly unwieldy no matter what I do.
^_oo_^

On the other hand, as Rob points out, some Phals do not need staking and are
very graceful on their own. For example: Dtps Kenneth Schubert (at least
mine) does not need to be staked. It has a fairly short and fairly straight
flower spike that just arches a bit under the weight of the flowers.

I really like those plastic clips with butterflies or dragonflies that can
be used for taming children's hair as well as for attaching flower spikes to
stakes. I think they are neat.

Joanna

"Phalguy" wrote in message
Hello!

Let the nature works! The spike will find a way to grow properly!

Good growing

Claude

"Richard Baptista" wrote in message
|I have been trying to grow Orchids for a while without any success,
However,
| I now have a yellow Phalaenopsis that has a new spike.

Unfortunately,
this
| is growing at an acute angle from the plant.
| How do I straighten it to upright without damaging it? -- Many

Thanks.

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Phalaenopsis flower spike Jimmy Lloyd Orchids 1 25-07-2004 07:03 AM
Phalaenopsis flower spike Jimmy Lloyd Orchids 2 21-07-2004 11:04 PM
phalaenopsis bud / spike question Tanya Orchids 2 22-09-2003 04:02 PM