Old 14-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Gail Futoran

"Artships" wrote in message
In article ,
~ jan JJsPond.us writes:
Gail, if I was in your situation I'd have my filter on all the time,

*wave to Jan*

Whoa, how did I miss Jan's post? In reply, I suppose I
was concerned that with above-ground ponds, as the
water temp cools, the fish head as far south as they
can which isn't very far but better than nothing. Keeping
the filter on doesn't do anything for the biobugs (which
are nonexistent at lower temps, right?), it "mixes" the
water hence making the lower levels cooler, and also I
have to worry about the surface freezing over doing
weird things to my little fountain. Anyhoo, the fish
seem to be doing ok with the filter on except when I
expect temps to approach freezing overnight.

I could be wrong...

My pond's in Fort Worth, about five hours north of Gail's.

Or three hours south, since once you leave Ft Worth
during winter you just hit the brakes and slide.

Had a nice
thorough freeze around Christmas (towards the bottom,
http://artships.com/pond.php). Pump is still... Pumping, skippy is
still keeping the water clear. Fish still swim, albeit with a bit
more deliberation at times. Landscaping's a mess since everything
that had been green isn't, and The Crew has torn-up the grass playing
"Chase".

Hey, Gail - Still got all those birds on your back porch?

The Barn Swallows leave me regularly late summer.
But they'll be back! Except there's a lot less nesting
room since we built a room on the patio for two kittens.
(Long story, FeLV+, etc.) So now I'm planning on
building shelters just off the patio, under the overhangs.
I experimented with one last year, and a couple did
build a nest, although it fell down (overhang not
deep/long enough maybe). Thanks for asking!

John

Gail