Old 17-01-2005, 08:10 AM
anton

"Magwitch" wrote in message
anton muttered:

"Magwitch" wrote in message
anton muttered:

I want to do espaliered pears around our new vegetable plot - a 3-sided
boundary measuring @ 12 metres per side. There will not be walls or

fencing
just the post supports, wires and the pear trees.

one more thing - will they need protection from deer and
rabbits?

Rabbit protection is fairly easy- you can get spiral-wound plastic thingies
to protect the trunk, which is probably worth doing in any case. These also
protect against voles which can be a problem when the trees are young.

Whether deer are a problem depends on where you are. Standard apple trees
can be physically protected against deer, but I can't see how an espalier
can.

Janet B's recipes for deer protection, iirc, include sweaty T-shirts tied at
deer-nose level. Have I got that right, Janet?

--
Anton