Old 14-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Edmund L. Castillo

Please remove my email address from your list. I am no longer involved with bonsai in anyway and do not want to receive further emails in that regard.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

From: "Billy M. Rhodes"
Date: 2005/01/03 Mon AM 04:50:50 CST
Subject: [IBC] Sago & Jade Bonsai

Taking both your questions together.

Sago is not a traditional Bonsai. It is a cycad and as such a monocot, which
means it grows only from the tip and doesn't branch. ( They will rarely form
two growth points if the tip is damaged and mature plants will produce pups
from the base) Cycads were around for the dinosaurs to feed on, so by nature are
very hardy plants. Give it plenty of light and don't let it freeze. Since you
indicate this plant is in its original pot and soil, if there are rocks on the
surface, remove them and replace the soil with store bought soil, not soil
from the yard.

Most plants should be watered when the soil dries out, as opposed to a
regular schedule.

The Jade doesn't like to be over watered and needs a lot of light also. If it
is soft and mushy it is not going to make it, but if the trunk is still firm,
cut your watering to when the soil is really dry, not just on top, and it
might make it.

Neither plant needs a lot of fertilizer and probably a liquid house plant
fertilizer, applied according to package directions, one a month or so is more
than enough.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --