Old 03-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Sago & Jade Bonsai

Taking both your questions together.

Sago is not a traditional Bonsai. It is a cycad and as such a monocot, which
means it grows only from the tip and doesn't branch. ( They will rarely form
two growth points if the tip is damaged and mature plants will produce pups
from the base) Cycads were around for the dinosaurs to feed on, so by nature are
very hardy plants. Give it plenty of light and don't let it freeze. Since you
indicate this plant is in its original pot and soil, if there are rocks on the
surface, remove them and replace the soil with store bought soil, not soil
from the yard.

Most plants should be watered when the soil dries out, as opposed to a
regular schedule.

The Jade doesn't like to be over watered and needs a lot of light also. If it
is soft and mushy it is not going to make it, but if the trunk is still firm,
cut your watering to when the soil is really dry, not just on top, and it
might make it.

Neither plant needs a lot of fertilizer and probably a liquid house plant
fertilizer, applied according to package directions, one a month or so is more
than enough.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Jade plants are very tough, for the most part. I actually gave one to my dad! As a rule of thumb, water once per week. The pick in the soil method is better, but Jade do better with too little water than too much. If they get a lot of light, the edges of the leaves take on a really pretty red color. You can't really wire them very effectively, but pinch and grow works exceptionally well. If you pinch out the newly forming leaves at the end of a branch, you will almost always get a Y branching as a result. You can also propogate them by simply sticking a leaf in some soil!

May not be "truly bonsai", but they are fun to play with; hard to kill; and are neat looking little "trees."

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Iris Cohen

Sago is not a traditional Bonsai. It is a cycad and as such a monocot,

Correction. Sago are not monocots at all. They are the most primitive
gymnosperms, sharing some features of ferns. They belong to the family
Cycadaceae.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Old 14-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Edmund L. Castillo

Please remove my email address from your list. I am no longer involved with bonsai in anyway and do not want to receive further emails in that regard.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

From: "Billy M. Rhodes"
Date: 2005/01/03 Mon AM 04:50:50 CST
Subject: [IBC] Sago & Jade Bonsai

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 14-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Edmund L. Castillo

Old 14-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Edmund L. Castillo

Old 14-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Edmund L. Castillo

From: "Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)"
Date: 2005/01/03 Mon AM 09:43:10 CST

[...]

[IBC] jade tree bonsai Craig Cowing Bonsai 2 17-02-2005 05:50 PM
[IBC] jade tree bonsai Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 17-02-2005 01:13 PM
Sago Bonsai HELP! Dali Bonsai 0 08-02-2005 07:02 PM
[IBC] Sago Bonsai HELP! Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 08-02-2005 05:26 PM
Sago Bonsai Dali Bonsai 0 03-01-2005 06:41 AM