Old 22-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Xi Wang

Default Nomenclature question

Hi,

Thinking of making some purchases this year - I was at a website and I
noticed that some of the plants were indicated as mericlones, but they
had no cultivar name. I surmise that these were just plants that got
cloned for mass production because they looked good, but no one ever
bothered to give them a clonal name. So the question arises, if I were
to buy one of these un-named clones, and it got awarded, would I be able
to give it a cultivar name? It would require one if it was awarded
right? But then the problem is, all the other clones of that plant
would have the same award, but no name. What's the protocol in such a
situation? TIA

Cheers,
Xi