Old 22-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Kay

In article , fruitbat
writes

1. I collected and shredded all the leaves of our cherry tree last autumm,
watered and drained them and stored them in bin bags in the shed.... good or
bad?

Good. They don't need the shelter of a shed - quite OK outside if you
have somewhere they don't look too unsightly.
I don't think I'd bother to shred them - but that will presumably speed
the process a bit.

2. Is it better to turn them to aerate (at the mo they are stacked and quite
compacted)?

I don't think so. I've turned mine, but they are in an open topped bin,
so the top few inches dries out a bit.

3. I intend to use them as mulch for the borders, is there any better use
for them?

I'd use them as general potting compost - leaf mould seems far too high
quality to use as a mulch. I use my compost heap for mulching - not so
much to keep the weeds down, but to improve the soil.

Is it too soon for them to be used, and when should I apply?

For mulching, use them as soon as moist enough not to blow around. Don't
think there's any special time of year - just when the urge takes you -
though it's obviously easier to spread in winter when there aren't so
many plants to get in the way.
--
Kay