Old 23-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Mike Lyle

nambucca wrote:
"fruitbat" wrote in message

[...]
I had a scan through the faq's and found a bit of info about leaf
mould, but I have afew more questions that I'd like a little help
with....

1. I collected and shredded all the leaves of our cherry tree last
autumm, watered and drained them and stored them in bin bags in

the
shed.... good or bad?

2. Is it better to turn them to aerate (at the mo they are stacked
and quite compacted)?

3. I intend to use them as mulch for the borders, is there any
better use for them? Is it too soon for them to be used, and when
should I apply?

Thanks in advance

Kev Hopley

Leaves do take time to rot down
i found it best to shred them and mix them with all manner of other
shredded materials inc veggie peelings plus grass clippings, horse
manure if you can get it in a covered compost bin ........add a few
buckets of night water and turn into an emply bin after 3 months

After 6 months you should have great compost

Sure. But sometimes pure leaf-mould is best: e.g., I suggest, for
lilies. If you really need leaf-mould, it's a waste to add it to the
general compost.

I think it's best just to leave it there, with no additives, doing
nothing to it, until the separate leaves have completely disappeared.
A year, maybe.

It's quite unnecessary to shred them -- in fact, the craze for
shredding has gone too far in general. You only need to shred twigs
and cabbage-stalks, and for _most_ people it makes more sense to burn
those or chuck them in the dustbin than to give B&Q your hard-earned
for a shredder.

At the risk of exciting wrath and contempt among sections of the
audience, I say shredders usually make even less sense than
wormeries. (Ducks behind filing-cabinet.)

Mike.