Old 24-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Sean Houtman

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
m:

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in
message ...
In article , Iris
Cohen writes
My understanding is that Pratia angulata and Laurentia or Isotoma
fluviatilis
are synonymous. They look identical to me, but I am strictly an
amateur. One of
the nurseries is questioning this. Is there any reference on the
subject? Iris
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody
Allen

Googling tells me that Pratia *pedunculata* is the same as
Laurentia/Isotoma/Lobelia fluviatilis. Pratia angulata is White
Star Creeper.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

You must have been Googling in all the wrong places.

Pratia pedunculata (R.Brown) Bentham and Isotoma fluviatilis
(R.Brown) Bentham are two very different species.

You wouldn't know it based on that response. You have any citations
for the differences?

Oh, I had to look them up myself. Pratia differs from Isotoma in the
corolla tube is split nearly to the base. (Hortus III)

Several garden web sites list them as synonyms. I suspect that the
truth is your garden variety star creeper is Pratia pedunculata, but
may be mislabeled as Isotoma fluviatilis.

Sean