Old 24-01-2005, 02:39 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Blue Star Creeper

My understanding is that Pratia angulata and Laurentia or Isotoma fluviatilis
are synonymous. They look identical to me, but I am strictly an amateur. One of
the nurseries is questioning this. Is there any reference on the subject?
Iris
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen
Old 24-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Cereus-validus...

Pratia angulata from New Zealand and Isotoma fluviatilis from Australia are
two different species in allied genera.

McComb, J.A. (1972) A revision of the species Isotoma fluviatilis.
Contributions from the New South Wales National Herbarium 4(3): 106-111.

Old 24-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Iris Cohen
writes
My understanding is that Pratia angulata and Laurentia or Isotoma fluviatilis
are synonymous. They look identical to me, but I am strictly an amateur. One of
the nurseries is questioning this. Is there any reference on the subject?
Iris
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Googling tells me that Pratia *pedunculata* is the same as
Laurentia/Isotoma/Lobelia fluviatilis. Pratia angulata is White Star
Creeper.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Cereus-validus...

You must have been Googling in all the wrong places.

Pratia pedunculata (R.Brown) Bentham and Isotoma fluviatilis (R.Brown)
Bentham are two very different species.

In article , Iris Cohen
writes

Old 24-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Sean Houtman

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
m:

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in
message ...
In article , Iris
Cohen writes
My understanding is that Pratia angulata and Laurentia or Isotoma
fluviatilis
are synonymous. They look identical to me, but I am strictly an
amateur. One of
the nurseries is questioning this. Is there any reference on the
subject? Iris
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody
Allen

Googling tells me that Pratia *pedunculata* is the same as
Laurentia/Isotoma/Lobelia fluviatilis. Pratia angulata is White
Star Creeper.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

You must have been Googling in all the wrong places.

Pratia pedunculata (R.Brown) Bentham and Isotoma fluviatilis
(R.Brown) Bentham are two very different species.

You wouldn't know it based on that response. You have any citations
for the differences?

Oh, I had to look them up myself. Pratia differs from Isotoma in the
corolla tube is split nearly to the base. (Hortus III)

Several garden web sites list them as synonyms. I suspect that the
truth is your garden variety star creeper is Pratia pedunculata, but
may be mislabeled as Isotoma fluviatilis.

Sean

Old 24-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Iris Cohen

Thank you to everyone who responded. Sean was particularly helpful. Thanks for
the cc, as your message did not turn up here.

Pratia pedunculata (R.Brown) Bentham and Isotoma fluviatilis (R.Brown)

Bentham are two very different species.
Pratia differs from Isotoma in the corolla tube is split nearly to the base.
(Hortus III)
I suspect that the truth is your garden variety star creeper is Pratia
pedunculata, but may be mislabeled as Isotoma fluviatilis.

Now all I have to do is wait until spring and look at the flowers with a
magnifying glass. A related question is which is the one in my lawn that is
hardy to Zone 5?
Old 24-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Cereus-validus...

You use Hortus III as your reference?

ROTFLMAO!

Much better to refer to Flora Australiensis and the Flora of New Zealand for
enlightenment. I'm not in the mood for hand holding an ungrateful.

news:1106564811.00f89fd7499eafa9ea1a91ba15149513@t eranews...

Old 25-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Sean Houtman

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
:

You use Hortus III as your reference?

ROTFLMAO!

Much better to refer to Flora Australiensis and the Flora of New
Zealand for enlightenment. I'm not in the mood for hand holding an
ungrateful.

Hortus III, though old, is still a much better reference than an
argument from authority. Do you really own those two tomes, or did
you google for the most appropriate text for the region?

Rather than laughing, perhaps you could support your statement that
the species under discusion are very different.

Sean

Old 25-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Cereus-validus...

I don't need to support my statements to you. I've never seen you post
anything supporting anything you say, troll boy.

There is a place full of books called a library. Check it out! I had already
cited another reference early in this thread. That make three in all. Go
look them up yourself.

Hortus III was a badly conceived piece of crap compiled mostly by grad
students that did not do the proper research and it was already completely
out-of-date when it was published. As a reference, it is worthless because
it has so many mistakes in it.

"Sean Houtman" wrote in message
news:1106647798.deaa78ddd89b9ac1fce276d0ea8679ae@t eranews...
"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
:

Old 26-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Sean Houtman

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
m:

I don't need to support my statements to you. I've never seen you
post anything supporting anything you say, troll boy.

There is a place full of books called a library. Check it out! I
had already cited another reference early in this thread. That
make three in all. Go look them up yourself.

Hortus III was a badly conceived piece of crap compiled mostly by
grad students that did not do the proper research and it was
already completely out-of-date when it was published. As a
reference, it is worthless because it has so many mistakes in it.

You have never seen me post anything supporting anything that I say,
eh? How is it that you are able to see the reference to Hortus?

Sean