Old 24-01-2005, 02:41 PM
J Jackson

fruitbat wrote:

: 3. I intend to use them as mulch for the borders, is there any better use
: for them? Is it too soon for them to be used, and when should I apply?

Before Peat became generally used in horticulture, leafmould was used to
make up potting composts. I use my leaf mould to make seed and potting
compost. I mix riddled leafmould and loam, and depending on use add some
"grit", plus maybe a little woodash.

I do tend to find that growing a little slower than most
books/seed-packets indicate - but I naturally compensate for that
nowadays.

I used to oven sterilise for seed compost, but have given up and have
hardly noticed - other than a little bit of increased weeding :-)