Old 25-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Will Cook

Beth Peace wrote:
I've been seeing a lot of Red-winged blackbirds at the feeders lately. I
remember them from my Grandparent's house in CT, but neither I nor my Mom
remember seeing them much (if at all) in NC in the 30 years we've been here.
Anyone else?

Red-winged Blackbirds tend to go around in huge flocks in the wintertime --
you either see none at all or *lots* of them. They're more abundant closer
in the Coastal Plain, where you often see long streams of tens of thousands
crossing overhead (commuting) at dawn and dusk. I don't think I've seen one
in the Triangle yet this year.

More local birding information on my web site:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/