Old 25-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Beth Peace

Default Red-winged Blackbirds

I've been seeing a lot of Red-winged blackbirds at the feeders lately. I
remember them from my Grandparent's house in CT, but neither I nor my Mom
remember seeing them much (if at all) in NC in the 30 years we've been here.
Anyone else?

Old 25-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Will Cook

Beth Peace wrote:
I've been seeing a lot of Red-winged blackbirds at the feeders lately. I
remember them from my Grandparent's house in CT, but neither I nor my Mom
remember seeing them much (if at all) in NC in the 30 years we've been here.
Anyone else?

Red-winged Blackbirds tend to go around in huge flocks in the wintertime --
you either see none at all or *lots* of them. They're more abundant closer
in the Coastal Plain, where you often see long streams of tens of thousands
crossing overhead (commuting) at dawn and dusk. I don't think I've seen one
in the Triangle yet this year.

More local birding information on my web site:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/
Old 25-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Anne Lurie

This is a bit off-topic, but perhaps of interest to gardener/birdwatchers
among us!

It was interesting this afternoon to watch a chickadee bathing in the 1/4"
of water that my dripper provided in an otherwise frozen solid birdbath! I
try to keep some water open for the birds to drink, never thought I'd see
one bathing!

Then, only a few minutes later, I saw a Ruby-crowned Kinglet happily
munching away at a "berry-flavored" suet cake!

BTW, I highly recommend Will's most excellent website!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

nk.net...