Old 26-01-2005, 03:51 AM
Bob

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and

could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

I removed an apple tree stump a little bigger than that last summer. I dug
under it until I found a reversed saddle of roots under it. I placed a 1' x
3' chunk of 3/4" plywood into the hole, then rolled my floor jack down the
plywood so the lifting part was under the saddle. Then I just jacked it up
as far as I could, prop'ed it up with a block of wood, repositioned the
jack, and jacked again. It took about 2 hours to remove it. I then washed
the dirt off the roots, and cut it up with my chainsaw.

Bob