Old 25-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Keith Hampson

Default removing a tree stump

The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

or use http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

Old 25-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Boots

If you use a chainsaw and hit any dirt you will dull the
blade in about 3seconds, not a good idea
"Keith Hampson" wrote in
message ...

Old 25-01-2005, 09:52 PM
James

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and

could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

or use http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

Put a metal surrounding to it like a large bucket or washtub and keep that
charcoal going. It's still green wood although dormant this time of year but
constant feeding of the charcoal should eventually burn it all the way below
the ground line. If it's a tall stump use a metal drum to contain the coals.

Or you could rent a stump grinder. Those things really do the trick in
hurry.

Old 25-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Mike LaMana

Get a stump grinder for that tree stump! The burning digging cutting things
you envision are a lot of work and lot to clean up. A grinder will be thru
it in short order.
--
Mike LaMana, MS, CTE
Consulting Forester & Arborist

Old 25-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Christopher Green

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:58:11 -0000, "Keith Hampson"
wrote:

The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

or use http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

15-inch gauge is a big tree for taking out by hand, even with a stump
grinder. If you're in a place where it is legal to do so, you could
blast it out. You want "stumping" dynamite, which is a relatively
safe-and-sane 20% NG, and you may need a local permit to store and use
the stuff.

--
Chris Green

Old 26-01-2005, 01:39 AM
simy1

Keith Hampson wrote:
The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month

ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed

to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and

could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like

that

or use http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

if you are sure it is dead by now, and if it is in shade, buy 100-300
mushroom plugs from www.fungi.com. They will do the trick, although
slowly, and give you about ten years of mushrooms.

Old 26-01-2005, 03:51 AM
Bob

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and

could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

I removed an apple tree stump a little bigger than that last summer. I dug
under it until I found a reversed saddle of roots under it. I placed a 1' x
3' chunk of 3/4" plywood into the hole, then rolled my floor jack down the
plywood so the lifting part was under the saddle. Then I just jacked it up
as far as I could, prop'ed it up with a block of wood, repositioned the
jack, and jacked again. It took about 2 hours to remove it. I then washed
the dirt off the roots, and cut it up with my chainsaw.

Bob

Old 26-01-2005, 10:29 PM
William Brown

Years ago my father drilled deep holes in some stumps, filled them with
fertilizer, and waited for them to decompose. It took a couple of
years, but it worked. I don't know if the fertilizer accelerated the
decomposition or not.

Today, I would be inclined to rent a stump grinder and be done in minutes.

Keith Hampson wrote:

The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

or use http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

there.

[IMG] code is On

Apple Tree Stump Remonal Pete United Kingdom 8 30-09-2008 03:17 AM
Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 08:32 PM
Removing a tree stump Keith Hampson United Kingdom 8 30-01-2005 07:34 PM
tree stump removal Giggles Gardening 6 30-09-2003 04:02 AM
tree stump Kumar Varadan Gardening 1 17-04-2003 06:08 PM