Old 26-01-2005, 05:53 AM
pandora

"simy1" wrote in message
oups.com...

pandora wrote:
Hi ALL,

I just wanted to brag on myself and my vegetable gardening success.

This
year, I grew brussels sprouts. Everyone, including the nursery where

bought the plants, that they wouldn't grow here. I live on the

Pacific
coast in Oregon. It's too salty, they said for brussels sprouts to

grow. I
persevered. Strangeley enough, out of 6 plants, 5 of them grew to

gigantic
proportions. We had several lbs of brussels sprouts for Thanksgiving

and
Christmas dinners. I am amazed. I think I'll be planting them again

this
year.

Marg

congratulations. in fact all brassicas come from a mediterranean
seashore weed, so some salt tolerance was to be expected. Asparagus
will also do well in your locale, but what else can people grow near
the seashore? Obviously, whatever likes cool weather and tolerates
salt. I think beet and chard will also do well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've grown peppers (green and jalapeno) in past
years but this year, for some reason, they didn't do well. Tomatoes of all
kinds have done exceptionally well and we always get a bumper crop. It's
fun trying out various vegetables to see what works.

Marg