Old 26-01-2005, 10:29 PM
William Brown

Years ago my father drilled deep holes in some stumps, filled them with
fertilizer, and waited for them to decompose. It took a couple of
years, but it worked. I don't know if the fertilizer accelerated the
decomposition or not.

Today, I would be inclined to rent a stump grinder and be done in minutes.

Keith Hampson wrote:

The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

or use http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

there.