Old 27-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
I've found the text!

From the SpringWatch stuff I used a link and got to this
page................

http://www.phenology.org.uk/standard...ction/news.htm

which says .............
"What to look out for this month
........................................... Please make sure you record
trendsetting events, not abnormally early individuals, and make sure the
flowers are wild-type and not hybrids. A good rule of thumb is that if
they are in gardens they are unlikely to be what we are after.

Ah - this is a bit different from what I thought you meant. I misread
your post as meaning that, for example, seeing a bumble bee in a garden
didn't count. But what it means is just make sure that you are only
recording wild species. So frogspawn in your garden pond is of interest,
as is the early bumblebees and butterflies.

But first flowering of a garden daffodil is not of interest, since it's
very unlikely to be the native british daffodil if it's in a garden.

--
Kay