Old 24-01-2005, 03:57 PM
JennyC

Default BBC SpringWatch

The BBC are doing a survey about when spring comes to various parts of the
country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...n/springwatch/

Looks interesting :~)
Jenny

Old 24-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes
The BBC are doing a survey about when spring comes to various parts of the
country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...n/springwatch/

They're asking you to tell them your first sighting of a bumblebee,
frogspawn and 7spot ladybird - very mcuh what we do in urg each year ;-)
--
Kay

Old 24-01-2005, 04:59 PM
June Hughes

In message , JennyC
writes
The BBC are doing a survey about when spring comes to various parts of the
country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...n/springwatch/

Looks interesting :~)
Jenny

That is a lovely site. Thanks Jenny. I heard about it on the Today
programme last week but promptly forgot to look. Have now bookmarked
it.
--
June Hughes
Old 25-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , June Hughes
writes
In message , JennyC
writes
The BBC are doing a survey about when spring comes to various parts of the
country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...n/springwatch/

Looks interesting :~)
Jenny

That is a lovely site. Thanks Jenny. I heard about it on the Today
programme last week but promptly forgot to look. Have now bookmarked
it.

Be warned! I sent off for 170 Birdwatch leaflets to put in the local
gardening club newsletter that I edit.
I wanted the same for garden watch but if you read the 'blurb' they want
you to note WILD events not garden stuff as they argue that they need to
know what is happening in the great outdoors and not in cultivated back
gardens. They say that, if you see something in the garden chances are
that it won't be the data they need.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-01-2005, 01:48 PM
shazzbat

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , June Hughes
writes
In message , JennyC
writes
The BBC are doing a survey about when spring comes to various parts of

the
country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...n/springwatch/

Looks interesting :~)
Jenny

That is a lovely site. Thanks Jenny. I heard about it on the Today
programme last week but promptly forgot to look. Have now bookmarked
it.

Be warned! I sent off for 170 Birdwatch leaflets to put in the local
gardening club newsletter that I edit.
I wanted the same for garden watch but if you read the 'blurb' they want
you to note WILD events not garden stuff as they argue that they need to
know what is happening in the great outdoors and not in cultivated back
gardens. They say that, if you see something in the garden chances are
that it won't be the data they need.

Oh, I won't bother then. I found a 7-spot clinging to the (outside of) the
frame of the greenhouse at the weekend

In BH22 in case you're interested

Steve

Old 25-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Tumbleweed

"shazzbat" wrote in message

[...]

Where does it say its not for gardens on the above site?
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 25-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Kay

In article , shazzbat
writes

[...]

I couldn't find anything in the 'Springwatch' site to say 'countryside
only'.

Indeed, the notes for peacock butterly say 'look in flowery banks and
gardens'
--
Kay

Old 26-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , shazzbat
writes

Oh, I won't bother then. I found a 7-spot clinging to the (outside of) the
frame of the greenhouse at the weekend

In BH22 in case you're interested

Steve

I wondered if they just meant the plants because they might just be
cultivated varieties rather than the true wild flowers? The information
was on a leaflet in the radio Times. The web site does mention hedgerows
etc for noting hawthorn flowering but I guess insects and birds can't
really be influence in their activity just be dint of the fact that they
are in cultivated areas?

I couldn't find any way of checking details so perhaps they'll accept
your 7 spot ladybird

janet
Old 26-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Tumbleweed
writes

Where does it say its not for gardens on the above site?

It said it on the leaflet I received. Something to do with making sure
the facts were relevant to wild phenomena and not cultivation?

I threw it away now but as a couple of others have also said that they
thought it was for all data I will have to now try and contact someone
to confirm the criteria!

janet
Old 26-01-2005, 08:26 AM
jane

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:04:59 +0000, Kay
wrote:

~In article , shazzbat
writes
~
[...]

Though it *does* say 'active' for the ladybirds, so just finding one
snoozing isn't enough.

I have already found several in such a state! Which is encouraging, if
only because I have a little aphid eradication corps waiting...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 26-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

I wondered if they just meant the plants because they might just be
cultivated varieties rather than the true wild flowers? The information
was on a leaflet in the radio Times.

Did you have a different leaflet in Radio Times in your area? Ours was
in the form of a postcard to return to the Woodland Trust, and there is
absolutely nothing on it to say it should be wild rather than garden.

--
Kay

Old 26-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

I wondered if they just meant the plants because they might just be
cultivated varieties rather than the true wild flowers? The information
was on a leaflet in the radio Times.

Did you have a different leaflet in Radio Times in your area? Ours was
in the form of a postcard to return to the Woodland Trust, and there is
absolutely nothing on it to say it should be wild rather than garden.

I don't know Kay, I don't have the Radio Times. I was doing the
birdwatch one for the Gardening Magazine and someone told me about the
garden/spring watch and said there was a leaflet also a website address.

I went online searched for phenology etc and I KNOW I saw a message
that said they wanted data from the wild because plants in gardens were
probably not the wild type. I'll have to plough through the history on
the other computer's OE to find the page it was on, but I definitely saw
it. I had pasted all the details into the newsletter and then had to
cut them when I saw the message.

I'll try and find the relevant address tonight.

If nothing else, if it wasn't referring to the Spring watch I can print
out leaflets for the members meeting.

Janet
Old 27-01-2005, 01:00 AM
goldfinch

" Did you have a different leaflet in Radio Times in your area? Ours was
in the form of a postcard to return to the Woodland Trust, and there is
absolutely nothing on it to say it should be wild rather than garden.

--
Kay

------------------
What you are talking about is

http://www.phenology.org.uk

It is about recording signs in your own garden as well as in other
locations. I find it really interesting to do, as it makes you go out and
look at what is happening.

You can record online but they will also send you a copy through the post of
what events to record.

Have fun.

Marina
E. Sx

Old 27-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Janet Tweedy

I've found the text!

From the SpringWatch stuff I used a link and got to this
page................

http://www.phenology.org.uk/standard...ction/news.htm

which says .............
"What to look out for this month
............................................ Please make sure you record
trendsetting events, not abnormally early individuals, and make sure the
flowers are wild-type and not hybrids. A good rule of thumb is that if
they are in gardens they are unlikely to be what we are after.

If this isn't part of the SpringWatch then I've obviously got the wrong
end of the stick and linked the two pages together somehow in my web
journey.

Does anyone know for certain if this is talking about another 'Watch'?

Janet

Old 27-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
I've found the text!

From the SpringWatch stuff I used a link and got to this
page................

http://www.phenology.org.uk/standard...ction/news.htm

which says .............
"What to look out for this month
........................................... Please make sure you record
trendsetting events, not abnormally early individuals, and make sure the
flowers are wild-type and not hybrids. A good rule of thumb is that if
they are in gardens they are unlikely to be what we are after.

Ah - this is a bit different from what I thought you meant. I misread
your post as meaning that, for example, seeing a bumble bee in a garden
didn't count. But what it means is just make sure that you are only
recording wild species. So frogspawn in your garden pond is of interest,
as is the early bumblebees and butterflies.

But first flowering of a garden daffodil is not of interest, since it's
very unlikely to be the native british daffodil if it's in a garden.

--
Kay

Springwatch - my contribution. shazzbat United Kingdom 5 06-06-2007 02:45 PM
BBC report Rhiannon S United Kingdom 1 28-09-2003 12:41 AM
FS: BBC Gardeners' World Magazines Vicky Larmour United Kingdom 0 02-01-2003 02:34 PM
BBC Gardener of the Year K United Kingdom 4 23-12-2002 04:27 PM
BBC Gardeners world mag.Novemer issue Michael Berridge United Kingdom 1 27-10-2002 04:05 PM