Old 28-01-2005, 05:42 PM
madgardener

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Cool your son cares about Woodstock & that whole era of music.

well he does like other types, but he seems to like music as much as I do
because he's been so over exposed to it. (we tend to agree that the Grateful
Dead program on our radio station on Wednesday's is a bit much (four hours
with just a break in the Dead archives to play some humor, some Dylan,
although the dj plays the Dead DOING Dylan....oy vey, occaisonal breaks and
playing Phish and Warren Haynes, but predominantly Grateful
Dead)..............I know there are a LOT of Dead-heads that will throw
their love beads at us for saying that, but one can only listen to so many
drunken and wiped out jams of their stuff no matter how many
diversifications there are and be able to appreciate a few of their work)

These lyrics from a Leonard Cohen song are about Janis, a loving tribute
despite bragging that she blew himsnip snip snip

THANKS Lady! That was rather neat. As much as I have heard Leonard's music,
I can't remember the tribute song. g

I have stayed in the Chelsea myself & had strange adventures & encounters
there. Riding the elevator with a drunken soap opera star, a complete
stranger to me, leaning on my shoulder & weeping & trying to get me to admit
I knew who he was (I didn't even own a TV at the time & had no idea he was
soap star), so I started singing Leonard's song to him & cheered the poor
guy up.

ahhhhhh the wonders of drunkenness. Which is why I smoked reefer. Never
threw up or did anything stupid when I smoked.

Leonard first met Janis in that very elevator, when he said to her, "Are you
looking for something," and she replied, "I'm looking for something."

In an often repeated story first told by Leonard himself, but I wonder if it
wouldn't've had to have been only a jest partly against himself, he claimed
he had to first convince her he was Kris Kristofferson in order to get her
to blow him.

LOL that sounds like truth. I, myself growing up in music city (Nashville)
during the 60's often went to Centennial Park where the Parthenon was with
my friends. To hang out there was neat for a naive little flower child.
There was this deep voiced guy who was a dishwasher in Printer's Alley who
came to the park after he got off work who was trying to make it on the
music scene that we sat and shared a doober with. Had an unusual sounding
name of Kristofferson..............once was the moment that I hold to me as
a passing experience. That one and when my English Student teacher took five
of us on a "field trip" to see Janis at the Women's Building at the
Tennessee State Fair grounds back in the early sixties because she had gone
to school with her back in Texas and had a back stage pass and thought it a
rather neat thing to do (we'd have to write a report on it to make it
official LOL)

All I remember was there was only a few of us that actually LIKED Janis' and
Big Brother's music at the time, and I was proud to get to go, and remember
us going backstage where the "dressing room" door stood open and there sat
Janis, and what I remember the most is how the smell of sweat and incense
and I now realise now, whiskey, was thick on the air, and Janis looked at my
student teacher and asked her who the F*** she was, and then cackled at her
and said "screw it, you got balls girl to even play that card, I don't give
a shit about any of you assholes because you treated me like shit when I was
going to school, if you was one of the nicer ones I'll give you that,cuz I
don't remember you."

I was held fixed watching Janis' sweaty face as she had her say to my
student teacher and then remember the teacher's face as she held herself and
told her that she thought it would be neat for a few of her students to
experience the music of someone she had admired in school for speaking her
mind and had hoped she'd remember her, but the concert and getting to bring
us backstage was enough, thanked her and told us to not bother Janis anymore
and started to herd us out the same way we'd come in.

Something about it being alright man, and that awesome cackle laugh she had
as she got up from her chair they'd put in the room and closed the door. I
never thought it rude or wrong, I was just blown away to be that close to
Janis Joplin. I had always related to her angst simply because she poured
her heart out in her music and was a Capricorn who had suffered like myself
when she went to school. Her love for blues and her need to express herself
in the way only she knew was enough for me, a teenager who was going thru
the personal hell's that I was going thru at the time. It helped me to stand
up later on when I had to stand alone and declare myself unnecessary of
needing "acceptance" or acknowledgment from this school almost full of
condesending, critical assholes who tried to be my peers. There was just a
handful of truely decent people I went to school with back then.

I still love Janis' music, but have survived her few recordings to further
listen to and love other artists since she came about. My diversity and
ecclectic love for all sorts of music has kept me "sane" all these years.
How sad that she needed the comforts of a drug that eventually killed her. I
still think she didn't know how pure it was when she did it. She had
everything to live for at the time she died. I never believed the crap
propaganda they tried to attach to her death and Hendrix's and Morrison's
death. The newspapers at the time and Rolling Stone had a way of just
saying what was going on and not air brushing it like now. I still correct
people when they try to tell me Jimmy died of a drug overdose, and I
remember reading the articles and hearing the news report that he'd had a
huge meal, lots of wine, (according to something read in Rolling Stone, he
had to unwind after a concert or jam as he was wired all the time) had
passed out with his girlfriend and sometime during the night, had vomited in
his sleep and had suffocated from the vomit. Had his girlfriend not been so
passed out she might have woken up and rolled him over or woke him up and he
might, (the possibility is not even worth considering) have survived longer
than he did.

The fact that he liked Yellow jackets and everything else was a prescription
for a brick wall to happen eventually. Sad to think his musical genius was
cut short by ignorance of the stuff he took and tried and mixed with
alcohol.

And Jim's death was a heart attack. Supposedly in a bathtub full of gin.
So he had a defective heart and the drugs didn't help any and he probably
drowned in the tub full of "gin" when he had the heart attack.

Some people seem not to be long for this planet it appears. But that's just
my intepretation and not much to draw on g

If there is a God, he's gotta look just like Leonard Cohen.

You're probably right, if there is a God...........I tend to think that if
there is a God, she looks like whatever you percieve her to be.........but
who knows the answer to that one? No one has EVER come back to tell us
otherwise....

thanks Paggers, for the update on the question.

madgardener still a little bit of an old hippie after all these years