Old 25-01-2005, 10:26 PM

Default *IMPORTANT* Message for Google Group, Usenet and AOL users!

Good News!

Do you know how simple it is to go to Heaven after this life has ended?

Some people believe that belonging to a local church, temple, mosque or
synagogue will get them to Heaven.

Others believe that water baptism, obeying the ten commandments or just
being a good person will get them to Heaven.

There are many other beliefs as well, but the good news about God's way
to Heaven is found in the Holy Bible.

The good news is that God came from Heaven to earth in the person of
Jesus Christ over 2000 years ago and died for our sins(misdeeds). He
was born in the land of Israel supernaturally to a virgin Jewish woman
named Mary. He lived a sinless life for thirty-three years and then
sacrificed His sinless blood and died on a cross to pay the death
penalty for our sins. After Jesus was placed in a tomb He rose from the
dead three days later as He said He would. The Holy Bible also tells us
that Jesus Christ ascended into Heaven and that all who accept Him as
their Lord and Saviour will live forever with Him in Heaven where there
is no more death, sorrow, sickness and pain.

The Bible says, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is
eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

This verse in the Bible says, "For ALL HAVE SINNED, and come short of
the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

This verse says, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

In this passage the Bible clearly explains how simple it is to be saved
and on your way to Heaven, "For if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus
is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead,
you WILL BE SAVED." (Romans 10:9)

You can be saved right now and on your way to Heaven if you will open
your heart to Jesus and pray the following prayer:

Dear Jesus Christ, I want to be saved so that I can have a home in
Heaven when I die. I agree with You that I am a sinner.
I believe You love me and want to save me. I believe that You bled and
died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sins. I believe that You
rose from the dead. Please forgive my sins and come into my heart and
be my Lord and Saviour. Thank You Lord Jesus Christ for forgiving me
and saving me through Your merciful grace. Amen.

You are now a Christian if you said the prayer and allowed God to save
you. Welcome to the family of God.

Salvation is not a reward but a gift. The Bible says it this way, "For
it is by GRACE you have been SAVED, through FAITH and this not from
yourselves, it is the GIFT of God." (Ephesians 2:8)

Nothing in the world is more important than your eternal destiny.

The Bible says, "In Him(Jesus) we have redemption through His blood,
the forgiveness of sins..." (Ephesians 1:7)

If you have not yet made a decision to be saved, please do so now
before it is too late. The reason why it is so important to be saved
now is because you do not know exactly when you will die. You may die
prematurely in a traffic accident, terrorist attack or some other way
before you get another chance to be saved.

The Bible tells us that we will spend eternity in Heaven or a place of
eternal torment called Hell. It would be terrible to die and go to Hell
when all you have to do is accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord
and Saviour.

Some people that have already made Jesus Christ their Lord and Saviour
worry about losing their salvation. The Bible teaches Christians that
we can never lose our salvation no matter what happens.

The Bible says it this way, "My dear children, I write this to you so
that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks
to the Father in our defense Jesus Christ, the Righteous One."

Yes my friend, Jesus Christ is able to save you and keep you saved.

Please tell your family and friends, thanks!

Have a great day!
Internet Evangelist R.L. Grossi

1. http://www.biblegateway.com Free Online Bible
2. http://www.free-hoster.com/goodnews Passion of the Christ
3. http://www.carm.org/cults/cultlist.htm Beware Of Cults
4. http://www.equip.org/free/DH198.htm About Hell
5. http://www.powertochange.com/questions/qna2.html Is Jesus God?

Old 25-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Darren Garrison

On 25 Jan 2005 14:26:57 -0800, in rec.gardens wrote:

The Bible says, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is
eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

This verse in the Bible says, "For ALL HAVE SINNED, and come short of
the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

I have some questions about the [Bible], and as you have evidently studied it, do you have any
advice regarding these other specific Bible laws and how to follow them?

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates
a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors.
They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price
for her?

She's 18 and starting University. Will the slave buyer continue to pay for her education by law?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in
her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is,
how do I tell?

I have tried asking, but most women take offense. I'm sure you have found a way to do this and can
share it with me.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of
mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you
clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to
kill him myself, or should this be a neighborhood improvement project?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you
settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I
have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be
20/20, or is there some wiggle room here? Would contact lenses help?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even
though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27.
How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear hemp gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as
does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He
also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of
getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at
a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

[Found this at another forum]

Old 26-01-2005, 01:19 AM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

On 25 Jan 2005 14:26:57 -0800, in rec.gardens

wrote:

[clip funny stuff]

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.

I don't agree. Can you
settle this?

[clip more funny stuff]

[Found this at another forum]

That often-reposted bit of political humor originated in May 2000 as an
open letter to "Dr." Laura, who is not actually a doctor of mental health
as she pretends, but only a virulent homophobic radio personality, an
ex-Christian who converted to Judaism & started blaming her personal
homophobia on Jews. Many Jews have been extremely offended by her
misinterpretations of Torah as inciting hatred of gays. For one thing, the
levitical ban applied only to Levites, modernly Cohens, so good thing
Leonard Cohen only got that famous blowjob from Janice Joplin & not from
Scott Joplin. The humor piece was originally a page at the stopdrlaura.com
website, but soon became one of those eternally forwarded e-mails, the
original humorist never credited. It should be credited to J. Kent
Ashcraft & the Stop Dr Bush Coalition Against Hate. It is archived in its
original version he
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/joke/laura.htm

I'll repost below my old June 2000 commentary, a rebuttal of Dr Laura's
misrepresentations of Torah, written during the same campaign. Mine was
not so humor-oriented as Kent's but addressed seriously the hate-motivated
misrepresentations of Levitical law. Repost:

DOCTOR LAURA, NOT TORAH, HOMOPHOBIC:

I'm sure Dr Laura receives lots of "support" from her Christian admirers,
as Christians do not respect Torah, they call it "Old Testament" & except
when it superificially seems to permit hatred of queers, they regard it as
very secondary to Christian gospels. Christians had the same take back in
slave days -- suddenly the Old Testament had great significance since it
permits slavery & limits the rights of slaves. Laura's excuse has got to
be that she's a convert, & still very deeply effected by Christian
superficiality about Torah. Because while Torah does prohibit homosexual
acts with or among Levites, it does not otherwise prohibit homosexuality.
It does seek to regulate all kinds of human behavior, including
homosexuality.

Saul berates Jonathan as the "son of a perverse, rebellious woman," &
says, "do I not know you have chosen the son of Jess to your own shame, &
to the shame of your mother's nakedness?" [2 Ki 20:30]. Saul indicates
that in Jonathan's homosexuality, he revealed himself like his mother,
Ahinoam. Did this mean she was also homosexual, or only that Jonathan,
like his mother, was attracted to men? What Saul meant was that Ahinoam
worshipped in a Pagan manner in the highplace groves, where orgiastic
rites were a commonplace, including homosexual encounters as is explicit
in the case of the cult Naamah the Amonitess supported in Jerusalem [1 Ki
14:21-24].

But Saul may have been disingenuous, for there is evidence that he himself
desired the beautiful faggotty David. King Saul told his servants, "Speak
to David of LAT, & say, Behold, the king has delight in you" [1 Sm 18:22].
Here the word LAT is weighty with cultic meaning. It literally means
"mysteries" "secret art" or "enchantment." The same word is used to
describe a harvest ritual between Boaz & Ruth, "He went to lie down at the
end of the heap of grain. Then she came LAT (with secret art) & uncovered
his feet & lay down" [Ru 3:7]. "Feet" is here a politism for "Genetalia" &
there's no question but that Boaz & Ruth are here involved in some
fertility harvest ritual. It is in this sexual & cultic context that
David, as King Saul's young court singer, could inevitably become Saul's
catamite. Saul & his son, as Benjamites, were especially apt to be
associated with homosexual cult behavior, as is clear from the story of
the Levite & his concubine [Jg 19:22-24], when the Benjamites sought
homosexual intercourse with the visiting Levite as part of a ritual
prohibited of Yahweh's priesthood (& only of the priesthood) so that the
Levite offered his concubine in compromise, this displeased the Benjamites
who regarded the Levite's rebuff a signal affront. From their offence,
they slew the concubine. Had the Levite not been a Levite, he probably
would have been given a name for the story, but he is not, because the
important factor is that only Levites would be prohibited from the
Benjaminite ritual of sexual submission to the tribe whose territory he
was passing through.

Always bare in mind the regulation against homosexual acts applied
primarily to Yahweh's priesthood, vis, Levites, or today's Cohens, who to
this day can't even marry other Jews outside their caste. In other cases
regarding homosexuality, "He that toucheth the flesh of him that
ejaculates" must afterward purify himself, & will remain unclean until
evening [Lv 15:7]. This is the PRIMARY Levitical law on homosexuality: it
induces a short period of cultic impurity, to be followed by cleansing
ritual. Compared to the period of ritual uncleanliness for women during
menses, this is minimalist pollution, & certainly no more a sin than is
menstruation.

The Hebrew word for "Abomination" which Christians adore to use against
gays actually means a "Cultic impurity" which induces a temporary state of
spiritual uncleanliness. Christians also like to cite Leviticus to show
that the cultic impurity is so astounding that the punishment is death
(perhaps so of Levites) but so too is the punishment death if your child
talks back to you; the mishnaic sages found in Torah justification to ban
capital punishment altogether, & that was a couple thousand years ago.
Christians have never got beyond the merely human & UN-divine urge to kill
people as a favor to God, selectively enjoying the apparent commandment to
kill fags, but overlooking the commandment to kill sassing children. But a
more respectful reading of Torah does not sustain any of this hate-spewing
nonsense. The same uncleanliness occurs for all women during menses, & in
many other situations. It is not indicative of prohibition or unpurifiable
state -- except for Levites. "Touch not my anointed" [1 Chr 16:22; Ps
105:15] is a prohibition against Yahweh's priesthood being involved in all
manner of sacred rites of a sexual nature that were otherwise acceptable
practices outside the priesthood.

Most of the Levitical regulations regard cultic distinctions between Jews
(Yahwists) & rival cults. This is the PRIMARY reason for these laws, to
define tribal & cultic differences that defined worshippers of Yahweh
vis-a-vis worshippers of any other divinity. In Deuteronomy, "Dog" (keleb,
from whence the term kelebite for homosexual) was used to indicate
homosexual prostitutes or male Sacred Ones [Dt 23:17-18], & the
regulations for offerings to Yahweh specifically prohibit "dogs" as well
as female Sacred Ones from using earnings from their cultic behavior as
offerings to Yahweh [Dt 23:18]. Kelebites or sodomists were not otherwise
prohibited from worshipping Yahweh or from making offerings other than
those gained from a practice associated with other divinities or with
cultically impure acts.

King David is to this day regarded as a patron saint in the gay community,
for having admitted his love for Jonathan exceeded his love for any woman.
Some textual scholars have argued that King David's bisexual proclivity
was the "fault" of his grandmother Ruth, a Moabitess, who brought foreign
ritual into the royal line. And Naamah the Amonitess, a queenmother of
Israel, supported a specificaly homosexual hilltop cult; the Moabites &
Ammonites were racially connected thanks to Lot who sired both nations by
laying with his daughters. But was David's bisexuality born of alien
ritual? Archeological evidence collated with the evidence of Judges,
Kings, & Chronicles shows conclusively that an archaic but purely Judaic
form of worship existed on the hilltops of Israel, to honor Asherah (in
Jerusalem) or Anath (earlier in Bethel) as consorts of Yahweh. Most of the
Kings never interferred with hilltop worship; those who did served a
Yahwist minority only, & even then rarely afflicted Asherah worshippers,
but only Baal worshippers. The "normal" Judaism of the time of Kings was
that Asherah would not be brought into the Temple (though it happened
anyway) but would be honored in hilltop groves. So too Levitical law
attempts to place restraints & limitations on such cultic activity,
without actually prohibiting it, except of the priestly class.

So it is clear that Jews were permitted, under Jewish law, to go to the
high place groves & wellcurbs to visit prostitutes, as shown by the
stories of Tamar who disguised herself as a Sacred Prostitute (kedesha) to
seduce Judah & thereby proved herself the most righteous member of the
family; or the equally righteous prostitute Rahab who in midrash
eventually married Joshua; & other scriptural tales of Samson, Hosea, even
Yahweh himself who loved the hypostatic harlot of Samaria, makes
absolutely certain. The laws against prostituting women in scripture, if
you look at the precise wording, are very specific to levitical women; or
at worst can be seen as a double standard that permitted men but not women
to go up to the highplaces for orgiastic purposes. Mostly the Patriarchs,
the Judges, & the Kings married women who were not Jewish at all, & many
were heads of bamah (hilltop) cults. To access these orgiastic groves was
in some mishnaic explanations sinful only if the divinities on these
hilltops were consciously honored, otherwise to copulate in these places
was not an insult to Yahweh -- in which cases the prostitutes would be
considered Zonah (mere hookers) not Kedesha or sacred ones. Such activity
WAS nevertheless "abominable," i.e., cultically impure [2 Sm 1:19; 1:25;
Jr 17:3; Hos 10:8; Eph 6:12; &c]. Nevertheless Jews other than the
priestly class could boink all the boys & girls they wanted, & undergo
cultic cleansing after a carefully defined period of uncleanliness, which
for homosexual acts was only until evening [Lv 15:7].

Hatred of homosexuals & homosexuality is something you can justify through
Torah if you start out from a position of hate & prejudice. No sincere,
learned reading of Torah sustains it. The Talmudists & mishnaic sages go
so far as to argue whether or not lesbians of the priestly class, being
closer to men in their sexual behavior, might qualify for the priesthood.
They concluded they were not so-qualified, just as castrati would not
qualify -- but no sinfulness was involved in their reasoning.

Dr Laura's intentional misrepresentations of Mosaic Law
are intended to justify the deepseated prejudice she feels against gays.
It is true that the Bible can be used to justify any form of hatred as a
Godly hatred, but the deeper one's understanding of Torah, the less
justification for prejudice the learned will find. Hatred & prejudice
demands ignorance, for without ignorance, tolerance predominates.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 26-01-2005, 10:43 PM
paghat

In article , Larry Blanchard
wrote:

In article ,
says...
The Bible says, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is
eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

I have some questions about the [Bible], and as you have evidently

studied it, do you have any
advice regarding these other specific Bible laws and how to follow them?

Very funny! I have yet another question for the original poster.

There are at least 20 major religions on this earth. By definition, at
least 19 of them are wrong (note the "at least").

You do know the letter was a satire, right?

But actually, Brahmanism allows that all divinities of all religions do
exist. So 20 out of 20 religions can be right. To a Hindu, Jesus, for
example, is an avatar of Siva, & indeed their myths have close parallels
at every juncture, so it's easy to embrace (with all else) the whole kit &
kaboodle of Christian belief & still be a Hindu. No one is wrong, but
everyone has only a small part of the picture, so everyone's perspective
is incomplete. This may sound quite liberal of those openminded Hindus,
but it's actually a method of coopting all things without being coopted,
so it's a religion that has thrived vastly longer than has Christianity so
far, & will likely still be around when Christianity is largely forgotten.

Buddhism allows that all religions may be equally "true." It's just that
all things are at the same time equally false. It doesn't matter so much
what is true as what greater reality is hidden by the illusions embodied
by true.

Even among some christians there are odd little sects like the Unitarians
who sort of half believe all faiths have equal standing, though they are
ultimately Unitarian Christians, not Unitarian Muslims, Unitarian
Buddhists, Unitarian Voudons & Wiccans & Zoroastrians, so really they're
merely condescending buttwipes who're just a lot less aggressive about
their own god being better than everyone else's.

Bare in mind the practical rather than supernatural purpose of religion is
tribal & has nothing to do with any literal God or soul supposing such
could even exist. If one tribe believes everyone has to Morris dance for
God, but the next one believes you gotta kill a Moslem to please Jesus,
well hey, that defines the uniqueness of those two tribes & permits each
tribe to gang together for the common good (of their tribe) at the expense
of everyone who is Other.

The more hate-filled a religion the better it works, because it defines
the "us" within each tribe as extremely distinct from & better than the
"them." If each group can at least keep from killing the misfits within
the tribe (for which purpose civil rights are laid upon the tribal myths
to protect eccentrics within the group), then the demonizing of the Other
permits us to gain individidually by the group territoriality, to wage
wars to win all the gold, croplands, or oil, thereby to enrich everyone in
the tribe, except the village idiot since it's a pecking order after all &
there's a bell-curve for division of ill-gotten wealth.

YOU wanna live in an egalitarian world instead? SURE you do -- not. We'd
all pretty much rather live in a world where we can go grocery shopping
for just about anything we don't actually need, & own a computer &
subscribe to cable & go to drunken parties in stadium parking lots, no
matter how many resources it diverts to our personal joys at the expense
of those gol-blasted "Others" with whom we do not share anything, but
might make them a helpful loan just so long as it benefits our tribe to do
so & ultimately impoverishes theirs.

Success at materialism requires tribalism which requires cultic
distinctions or we'd all be one gigantic tribe called Earthlings, with at
best barely enough for everyone rather than too much for a few, & we can't
have that, because even the majority who have little or nothing want at
least the dream of getting on top & having it all. Enough is never enough;
the game is all or nothing.

If anyone really would prefer just-enough for everyone, we'd turn into
commies, who god hates. YOU be first to toss your television & get rid of
the car. I'm keeping my exesses, which seem awfully insufficient to fulfil
even my minimal greediness, so I can't greatly fault the faithful for
their selfishness or for the moral retardation they call their faith.

Old 26-01-2005, 11:57 PM
madgardener

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

On 25 Jan 2005 14:26:57 -0800, in rec.gardens

wrote:

[clip funny stuff]

[...]

=snip snip whack
Alright, Paggers, hold it right there....................my almost 33 year
old son comes downstairs and asks me "WHAT famous blowjob from Janice Joplin
that Leonard Cohen got??" So for his sake.........is the story on your
website, is there a link or will you humor me and him and e-mail it to me so
that his curiosity will be satisfied? Having grown up with a mom who WENT to
the REAL Woodstock and has fond memories of it (despite the obvious altered
state I was in and being unable to go home for about 10
days.............................................. ..........................
.........) he grew up and around me and knew if mom was upset about something
because Janis would be cranked up on the stereo and I'd be in the kitchen,
shrieking along with her.........I just honored her day of birth January
19th (which is shared by Dolly Parton and Peter Gabriel by the way, I love
music as much as I love gardening and plants). So if you'd be so kind as to
indulge an old hippie and her Pagan son the story of the famous blowjob, I
would be most impressed and grateful.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 27-01-2005, 01:29 AM
paghat

In article , "madgardener" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

On 25 Jan 2005 14:26:57 -0800, in rec.gardens

wrote:

[clip funny stuff]

[...]

Cool your son cares about Woodstock & that whole era of music.

These lyrics from a Leonard Cohen song are about Janis, a loving tribute
despite bragging that she blew him:

I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel,
You were talking so brave and so free.
Giving me head on the unmade bed
While the limousines wait in the street
And those were the reasons and that was New York,
I was running for the money and the flesh
That was called love for the workers in song,
It still is for those of us left.
But you got away, didn't you, baby?
You just threw it all to the crowd.
You got away, they can't pay you now
For making your sweet little song.

I have stayed in the Chelsea myself & had strange adventures & encounters
there. Riding the elevator with a drunken soap opera star, a complete
stranger to me, leaning on my shoulder & weeping & trying to get me to
admit I knew who he was (I didn't even own a TV at the time & had no idea
he was soap star), so I started singing Leonard's song to him & cheered
the poor guy up.

Leonard first met Janis in that very elevator, when he said to her, "Are
you looking for something," and she replied, "I'm looking for something."
In an often repeated story first told by Leonard himself, but I wonder if
it wouldn't've had to have been only a jest partly against himself, he
claimed he had to first convince her he was Kris Kristofferson in order to
get her to blow him.

If there is a God, he's gotta look just like Leonard Cohen.

Old 28-01-2005, 05:42 PM
madgardener

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Cool your son cares about Woodstock & that whole era of music.

well he does like other types, but he seems to like music as much as I do
because he's been so over exposed to it. (we tend to agree that the Grateful
Dead program on our radio station on Wednesday's is a bit much (four hours
with just a break in the Dead archives to play some humor, some Dylan,
although the dj plays the Dead DOING Dylan....oy vey, occaisonal breaks and
playing Phish and Warren Haynes, but predominantly Grateful
Dead)..............I know there are a LOT of Dead-heads that will throw
their love beads at us for saying that, but one can only listen to so many
drunken and wiped out jams of their stuff no matter how many
diversifications there are and be able to appreciate a few of their work)

These lyrics from a Leonard Cohen song are about Janis, a loving tribute
despite bragging that she blew himsnip snip snip

THANKS Lady! That was rather neat. As much as I have heard Leonard's music,
I can't remember the tribute song. g

I have stayed in the Chelsea myself & had strange adventures & encounters
there. Riding the elevator with a drunken soap opera star, a complete
stranger to me, leaning on my shoulder & weeping & trying to get me to admit
I knew who he was (I didn't even own a TV at the time & had no idea he was
soap star), so I started singing Leonard's song to him & cheered the poor
guy up.

ahhhhhh the wonders of drunkenness. Which is why I smoked reefer. Never
threw up or did anything stupid when I smoked.

Leonard first met Janis in that very elevator, when he said to her, "Are you
looking for something," and she replied, "I'm looking for something."

In an often repeated story first told by Leonard himself, but I wonder if it
wouldn't've had to have been only a jest partly against himself, he claimed
he had to first convince her he was Kris Kristofferson in order to get her
to blow him.

LOL that sounds like truth. I, myself growing up in music city (Nashville)
during the 60's often went to Centennial Park where the Parthenon was with
my friends. To hang out there was neat for a naive little flower child.
There was this deep voiced guy who was a dishwasher in Printer's Alley who
came to the park after he got off work who was trying to make it on the
music scene that we sat and shared a doober with. Had an unusual sounding
name of Kristofferson..............once was the moment that I hold to me as
a passing experience. That one and when my English Student teacher took five
of us on a "field trip" to see Janis at the Women's Building at the
Tennessee State Fair grounds back in the early sixties because she had gone
to school with her back in Texas and had a back stage pass and thought it a
rather neat thing to do (we'd have to write a report on it to make it
official LOL)

All I remember was there was only a few of us that actually LIKED Janis' and
Big Brother's music at the time, and I was proud to get to go, and remember
us going backstage where the "dressing room" door stood open and there sat
Janis, and what I remember the most is how the smell of sweat and incense
and I now realise now, whiskey, was thick on the air, and Janis looked at my
student teacher and asked her who the F*** she was, and then cackled at her
and said "screw it, you got balls girl to even play that card, I don't give
a shit about any of you assholes because you treated me like shit when I was
going to school, if you was one of the nicer ones I'll give you that,cuz I
don't remember you."

I was held fixed watching Janis' sweaty face as she had her say to my
student teacher and then remember the teacher's face as she held herself and
told her that she thought it would be neat for a few of her students to
experience the music of someone she had admired in school for speaking her
mind and had hoped she'd remember her, but the concert and getting to bring
us backstage was enough, thanked her and told us to not bother Janis anymore
and started to herd us out the same way we'd come in.

Something about it being alright man, and that awesome cackle laugh she had
as she got up from her chair they'd put in the room and closed the door. I
never thought it rude or wrong, I was just blown away to be that close to
Janis Joplin. I had always related to her angst simply because she poured
her heart out in her music and was a Capricorn who had suffered like myself
when she went to school. Her love for blues and her need to express herself
in the way only she knew was enough for me, a teenager who was going thru
the personal hell's that I was going thru at the time. It helped me to stand
up later on when I had to stand alone and declare myself unnecessary of
needing "acceptance" or acknowledgment from this school almost full of
condesending, critical assholes who tried to be my peers. There was just a
handful of truely decent people I went to school with back then.

I still love Janis' music, but have survived her few recordings to further
listen to and love other artists since she came about. My diversity and
ecclectic love for all sorts of music has kept me "sane" all these years.
How sad that she needed the comforts of a drug that eventually killed her. I
still think she didn't know how pure it was when she did it. She had
everything to live for at the time she died. I never believed the crap
propaganda they tried to attach to her death and Hendrix's and Morrison's
death. The newspapers at the time and Rolling Stone had a way of just
saying what was going on and not air brushing it like now. I still correct
people when they try to tell me Jimmy died of a drug overdose, and I
remember reading the articles and hearing the news report that he'd had a
huge meal, lots of wine, (according to something read in Rolling Stone, he
had to unwind after a concert or jam as he was wired all the time) had
passed out with his girlfriend and sometime during the night, had vomited in
his sleep and had suffocated from the vomit. Had his girlfriend not been so
passed out she might have woken up and rolled him over or woke him up and he
might, (the possibility is not even worth considering) have survived longer
than he did.

The fact that he liked Yellow jackets and everything else was a prescription
for a brick wall to happen eventually. Sad to think his musical genius was
cut short by ignorance of the stuff he took and tried and mixed with
alcohol.

And Jim's death was a heart attack. Supposedly in a bathtub full of gin.
So he had a defective heart and the drugs didn't help any and he probably
drowned in the tub full of "gin" when he had the heart attack.

Some people seem not to be long for this planet it appears. But that's just
my intepretation and not much to draw on g

If there is a God, he's gotta look just like Leonard Cohen.

You're probably right, if there is a God...........I tend to think that if
there is a God, she looks like whatever you percieve her to be.........but
who knows the answer to that one? No one has EVER come back to tell us
otherwise....

thanks Paggers, for the update on the question.

madgardener still a little bit of an old hippie after all these years

Old 28-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Kathryn Burlingham

paghat wrote:

If there is a God, he's gotta look just like Leonard Cohen.

I was dismayed to find that the young singer my friends hired for their
wedding (typo was "weeding", how apropos!) reception in Vancouver BC had
never heard of Leonard Cohen. Her accompanist on the guitar had at least
read some of his poetry, and was interested to hear that he wrote songs.
(They were doing requests, and I was plying them with the names of every
Canadian singer/songwriter I could think of, and coming up blank--the
singer then going so far as to say that all the Canadian singers that
went to the US had sold out, which still makes me laugh, especially when
I think of Leonard. I'm just hoping she looked him up after we talked!
Well, maybe she at least has gotten K D Lang's "Hymns of the 49th
Parallel".)

"Like a bird on a wire,
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free."

Old 28-01-2005, 09:53 PM
madgardener

And isn't Hymn's of the 49th parallel just excellent?? I adore it
madgardener
"Kathryn Burlingham" wrote in message
paghat wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

OT - AOL users Phil L United Kingdom 1 26-01-2005 11:58 AM
*IMPORTANT* Message for Google Group, Usenet and AOL users! [email protected] Ponds 0 25-01-2005 10:22 PM
[IBC] ADMIN - For AOL users - please respond privately Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 19-05-2003 03:56 PM