Old 28-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Sacha

On 28/1/05 18:27, in article , "Basia
Kulesz" wrote:

I am having an awfully heated argument with my friend about this plant. All
about its English common name - one of these is of course Schisandra,
another is Magnola vine, but I have googled and lots of sites refer to this
plant as "Wu-wei-zi"'. This name is of course of Chinese origin (it means
"having five tastes" or something), but the question is, whether it has been
*accepted* into English language? Or is my friend right and it is solely and
purely Chinese?

Is this what you're looking for?

"Schizandra (Schizandra chinensis) is a creeping vine with small red berries
that is native to Northern China. In ancient China, Schizandra was used as a
staple food for hunting and gathering tribes. As a traditional medicinal
herb, Schizandra, called Wu-wei-tzu in China, has been used as an astringent
for a treatment for dry cough, asthma, night sweats, nocturnal seminal
emissions and chronic diarrhea. It is also used as a tonic for the treatment
of chronic fatigue."
http://www.betterbodz.com/library/schizandra.html
--
Sacha