Old 29-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Brian Hagan

Default [IBC] midnight elm

Hello!

I'm new to the IBC and (relatively) new to bonsai. I got my first trees
about three years ago and I'm proud to say I still have them today, with
the exception of a few I tried to propagate from root cuttings.

My question for you today is: have any of you heard of a tree, the
"japanese midnight elm"? I've been trying to find *anyone* who knows
about this tree. It certainly isn't listed in any books. I would like
to know if it's a zelkova or ulmus (I understand they're treated a
little differently). What styles do this tree lend itself to? Mine is
very young and can go several directions, I'm thinking to do a
twin-trunk komono bonsai.

Also, I winter this tree over with my other bonsai in the cold shelter,
but I've heard some elms can be kept indoors?

Thank!
Brian
Pittsburgh PA (zone 5b/6a sunset 40)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++