Old 29-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Sacha

On 29/1/05 15:13, in article , "Basia
Kulesz" wrote:

Użytkownik "Sacha" napisał w wiadomości
k...
| On 28/1/05 22:49, in article , "Basia
| Kulesz" wrote:
|

| Did you happen to see my post describing the plant you were asking about?
| It is 'Schizandra' not 'schisandra'.

Well, RHS encyclopedia gives the name as "Schisandra" (family
Schisandraceae)- I really checked before asking:-)

Regards, B.

Looking further it appears as both, and it seems to be well known in the
herbal medicine business
"Schisandra
Schisandra chinensis

Berries from the plant (Schisandra chinensis) have been one of the primary
medicinal agents of Chinese herbal medicine since antiquity. The first
recorded use of schisandra is found in China's earliest text of herbal
medicine, the Divine Husbandman's Classic of the Materia Medica, which is
believed to have originated in the first century B.C. In this text,
schisandra is said to "prolong the years of life without aging," and it is
also said to increase energy (called "qi," pronounced "chee"), suppress
cough, treat fatigue, and act as a sexual tonic. In Traditional Chinese
Medicine (TCM), schisandra berries have been used predominantly for the
lungs and kidneys as an astringent tonic to arrest mucous discharges,
alleviate spontaneous sweating, and check urinary and reproductive
secretions such as in urinary incontinence."
http://www.organicfood.co.uk/vms/schisandra.html
Sounds a useful sort of supplement!
--
Sacha