Old 30-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Theo

Hi Iris

wrote:

In a message dated 1/30/05 12:03:09 AM, Theo writes:

I always advise newbies in bonsai to start with some gratifying and easy
growing plant like Punica granatum .. for those who live in a suitable climate
for them of course.

I had to laugh at this. :-( I guess location is everything. I think I have
killed almost as many pomegranates as serissas.

I have 2 pomegrenate since 5 years and all freeze during winter even
if they are under a shelter and serissa since two years (sendond
winther)fromm cuttings and rooted well actually ,the pot is a bucket od
stone becouse of ice and leaves are all green will see next week as
temps are supposed to go into positive
Last year I finally threw out
one I had been struggling with for years. I guess Central New York is definitely
not a suitable climate for pomegranates, even with giving them a rest period
and wintering under fluorescent lights.

maybe you should not use florescente lighs mine are outside on a
balcony all year , and under a plastic shelter roof now

http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/i...o&PhotoID=1088
sometimes is just a matter of bad luck or good luck with some specimens
For me at least, the branches are
brittle, they don't bud back, & the tops die. In the winter they are very
susceptible to chlorosis, so it is hard to get them in show condition. Right now I
have a 'Nana Emperor' which is not doing too badly, but it is the slowest thing
on roots.
I think my most successful bonsai is my 'Seiju' elm. For a grower in UK, I
would definitely suggest 'Jaquelyn Hillier.'

well Maybe NY is a little bit colder than switzerland look what we
had 2 days ago :
http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/n...o&PhotoID=1074
But sometimes even in northern countries they have a mild climate like
in some Englsh islands or micro climate
so one has to find out what is mostly suitable for him between the
indigenous plants

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :