Old 01-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Holmes" wrote

I have a number of maincrop potatoes in storage, in a garden shed,
went to get some this morning to use and discovered that some are
beginning to sprout.

As I'm expecting to use them to eat over the next couple/three
months, how can I stop them sprouting?

Having spent all that time growing the things to use it's
disappointing to find I may have to start to buy the things
from a supermarket!

Two things... too warm and spud variety.

They need to be kept in an airy and cold place but frost free in the dark,
unfortunately we haven't anywhere cold enough so suffer the same problems
you have about now.

Majestic are good keepers (also make chips that taste like they used to).
Others that I've read that are good keepers are....Pentland Hawk, Picasso,
Spey (also Slug resistant). We are trying the last one this year for the
first time.

--
Regards
Bob