Old 31-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Potatoes sprouting in storage.

I have a number of maincrop potatoes in storage, in a garden shed,
went to get some this morning to use and discovered that some are
beginning to sprout.

As I'm expecting to use them to eat over the next couple/three
months, how can I stop them sprouting?

Having spent all that time growing the things to use it's
disappointing to find I may have to start to buy the things
from a supermarket!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 01-02-2005, 12:21 AM
Emrys Davies

Alan Holmes wrote:
I have a number of maincrop potatoes in storage, in a garden shed,
went to get some this morning to use and discovered that some are
beginning to sprout.

As I'm expecting to use them to eat over the next couple/three
months, how can I stop them sprouting?

The shed is too warm. Knock off the sprouts and put the potatoes in the
cool on the garage floor and hopefully that will enable you to use them
for an extended period. If the tubers become soft you will have to
discard them.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Holmes" wrote

I have a number of maincrop potatoes in storage, in a garden shed,
went to get some this morning to use and discovered that some are
beginning to sprout.

As I'm expecting to use them to eat over the next couple/three
months, how can I stop them sprouting?

Having spent all that time growing the things to use it's
disappointing to find I may have to start to buy the things
from a supermarket!

Two things... too warm and spud variety.

They need to be kept in an airy and cold place but frost free in the dark,
unfortunately we haven't anywhere cold enough so suffer the same problems
you have about now.

Majestic are good keepers (also make chips that taste like they used to).
Others that I've read that are good keepers are....Pentland Hawk, Picasso,
Spey (also Slug resistant). We are trying the last one this year for the
first time.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-02-2005, 05:17 PM
David Rance

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Bob Hobden wrote:

I have a number of maincrop potatoes in storage, in a garden shed,
went to get some this morning to use and discovered that some are
beginning to sprout.

As I'm expecting to use them to eat over the next couple/three
months, how can I stop them sprouting?

Two things... too warm and spud variety.

They need to be kept in an airy and cold place but frost free in the dark,
unfortunately we haven't anywhere cold enough so suffer the same problems
you have about now.

I think the problem is worse this year. I've never had too much bother
with chitting but this year they started before Christmas, and it's the
same variety I've always grown.

David
--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 01-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after
from "Alan Holmes" wrote

I have a number of maincrop potatoes in storage, in a garden shed,
went to get some this morning to use and discovered that some are
beginning to sprout.

As I'm expecting to use them to eat over the next couple/three
months, how can I stop them sprouting?

Wooden sheds get pretty warm when the spring sun shines, that's why
the spuds are starting to shoot. Get them somewhere cooler; such as an
unheated brick-built garage with concrete floor. Or, if you have access,
a basement or underfloor space in the house.

My trouble is I have a brick built garage with a concrete floor but it's
attached to the house and has a Perspex roof. No good for keeping spuds but
great as a winter home for plants that are not frost hardy, so you win some
you lose some.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Alan Holmes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I have a number of maincrop potatoes in storage, in a garden shed,
went to get some this morning to use and discovered that some are
beginning to sprout.

As I'm expecting to use them to eat over the next couple/three
months, how can I stop them sprouting?

Wooden sheds get pretty warm when the spring sun shines, that's why
the spuds are starting to shoot. Get them somewhere cooler; such as an
unheated brick-built garage with concrete floor. Or, if you have access,
a basement or underfloor space in the house.

The only problem with using the garage is the mice!

In a sense I'm surprised they haven't got into the shed.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Janet.