Old 01-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after
from "Alan Holmes" wrote

I have a number of maincrop potatoes in storage, in a garden shed,
went to get some this morning to use and discovered that some are
beginning to sprout.

As I'm expecting to use them to eat over the next couple/three
months, how can I stop them sprouting?

Wooden sheds get pretty warm when the spring sun shines, that's why
the spuds are starting to shoot. Get them somewhere cooler; such as an
unheated brick-built garage with concrete floor. Or, if you have access,
a basement or underfloor space in the house.

My trouble is I have a brick built garage with a concrete floor but it's
attached to the house and has a Perspex roof. No good for keeping spuds but
great as a winter home for plants that are not frost hardy, so you win some
you lose some.

--
Regards
Bob