Old 02-02-2005, 03:47 PM
kathy

Hal wrote Not sure what they are calling bullfrogs or wh=ADat those
in BC would taste like, but they sound similar,

These are the same bullfrogs that are native in the South.
Bullfrogs are not native west of the Rockies but they've been
out west for a long time. They were originally brought out
west for the restaurant trade and raised in farm ponds from
which some of them hopped away, not wanting to be dinner.
They are all over the place now and are suspected of eating
into the native frog population.
When I first started ponding they used to sell bullfrog tadpoles
along with pond plants and fish. They were supposed to help
clean up the pond by eating gnawing away at the algae that grows
on the liner, etc. Now they are banned for sale in many western
states and hunted by biologists in several areas.

I wish them luck but don't hold out a lot of hope. I have a lady
bullfrog
in my ponds who is faster, smarter and more tricky than the
teenage boys I send after her. (But maybe that because they are
PNW bred, born and raised ;-)

kathy