Old 01-02-2005, 10:22 PM
kathy

Default Warning -get out of B.C. if you're a bullfrog!

This, in its entirety, from a roundup of gardening news in
The Toronto Free Press

Watch for B.C. (British Columbia) versus bullfrogs this spring as the

kill-a-kermit campaign takes off in earnest around Victoria. The adult
amphibians will be electro-shocked, scooped and frozen to death, their
tadpoles caught in special traps. The bullfrogs, which are not native
the B.C., have exploded in numbers recently. They chow down on
ducklings, small fish, turtles and even attempting, it on record, small
cats.

http://www.torontofreepress.com/2005/garden020105.

kathy

Old 02-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Bill Stock

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

This, in its entirety, from a roundup of gardening news in
The Toronto Free Press

Watch for B.C. (British Columbia) versus bullfrogs this spring as the

kill-a-kermit campaign takes off in earnest around Victoria. The adult
amphibians will be electro-shocked, scooped and frozen to death, their
tadpoles caught in special traps. The bullfrogs, which are not native
the B.C., have exploded in numbers recently. They chow down on
ducklings, small fish, turtles and even attempting, it on record, small
cats.

http://www.torontofreepress.com/2005/garden020105.

kathy

Time to warm up the blender.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Lostin1999

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

This, in its entirety, from a roundup of gardening news in
The Toronto Free Press

Watch for B.C. (British Columbia) versus bullfrogs this spring as the

kill-a-kermit campaign takes off in earnest around Victoria. The adult
amphibians will be electro-shocked, scooped and frozen to death, their
tadpoles caught in special traps. The bullfrogs, which are not native
the B.C., have exploded in numbers recently. They chow down on
ducklings, small fish, turtles and even attempting, it on record, small
cats.

http://www.torontofreepress.com/2005/garden020105.

There has to be a more humane way to sort this?? all of us with Reptiles
as pets know they feel... this is cruelty. if it HAS to be done, it
SHOULD be done humanely!!

one of the FEW times I think PETA should step in (bet they are all for it,
like the RSPB was for a cull of Ducks that MAY breed with a rare species
although it was not proven they could or would...)

I know these things are causing a lot of problems for native wildlife, but
that's a barbaric way to euthanize them!! (let George bush talk em to death
or something??)

Lost

Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Hal

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:33:01 -0000, "Lostin1999"
wrote:

There has to be a more humane way to sort this?? all of us with Reptiles
as pets know they feel... this is cruelty. if it HAS to be done, it
SHOULD be done humanely!!

That is humane. I harvested quite a few in the South with a light
and gig and they taste good. I never gave a thought to what the frog
might feel. Not sure what they are calling bullfrogs or what those
in BC would taste like, but they sound similar, and I feel a bit of
disappointment that I'm not on this hunt. I never froze mine until
after they were skinned though. Never understood why some think
freezing is so much more humane than separating the spine from the
brain either, but that is just me.

Regards,

Hal
Old 02-02-2005, 03:47 PM
kathy

Hal wrote Not sure what they are calling bullfrogs or wh=ADat those
in BC would taste like, but they sound similar,

These are the same bullfrogs that are native in the South.
Bullfrogs are not native west of the Rockies but they've been
out west for a long time. They were originally brought out
west for the restaurant trade and raised in farm ponds from
which some of them hopped away, not wanting to be dinner.
They are all over the place now and are suspected of eating
into the native frog population.
When I first started ponding they used to sell bullfrog tadpoles
along with pond plants and fish. They were supposed to help
clean up the pond by eating gnawing away at the algae that grows
on the liner, etc. Now they are banned for sale in many western
states and hunted by biologists in several areas.

I wish them luck but don't hold out a lot of hope. I have a lady
bullfrog
in my ponds who is faster, smarter and more tricky than the
teenage boys I send after her. (But maybe that because they are
PNW bred, born and raised ;-)

kathy

Old 03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Hal

On 2 Feb 2005 07:47:49 -0800, "kathy" wrote:

I wish them luck but don't hold out a lot of hope. I have a lady
bullfrog
in my ponds who is faster, smarter and more tricky than the
teenage boys I send after her. (But maybe that because they are
PNW bred, born and raised ;-)

Use a light at night. Their eyes glow and with practice you can
creep up as close as 4 or 6 feet away, so long as you keep out of the
light. You might have more trouble with a net than with a gig, but
it should be possible.

Regards,

Hal

A garden related comic, WARNING THIS IS A JPG AND IF YOU DON'T WANT TO VIEW IT, DON'T (you've been warned) Gloria Gardening 1 28-01-2006 03:03 PM
A garden related comic, WARNING THIS IS A JPG AND IF YOU DON'T WANT TO VIEW IT, DON'T (you've been warned) Travis M. Gardening 2 21-01-2006 08:25 AM
bullfrog range? Mike Sullivan Ponds 1 02-05-2003 03:45 AM
bullfrog John Rutz Ponds 0 10-04-2003 12:20 AM
Would you all like to get rid of Gorgeous George? Could you get shot of Saddam at the same time Gorgeous George United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 09:56 PM