Old 02-02-2005, 08:58 PM
rosie readandpost

HO?
isn't that a little small for outdoors?

--
http://img195.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...dcp00330kx.jpg

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
news:4m_Kd.74$Xs6.26@trnddc01...
: I'm thinking about putting an HO Scale railroad in the garden when
: plant it this spring. I'm posting here because I need advice on
what I
: can lay track ON that would be sturdy and not harm my tomatoes,
: strawberries, watermelon, carrots, green beans (or whatever else I
plant.)
:
: At the moment, my main question is how to securely mount the
track. I
: plan on soldering every joint so electric connectivity isn't a
problem.
: The track is about 1" wide with plastic "ties" between the
rails.
: Normally, track is mounted by putting a nail through the center of
the
: tie in to a board or with glue. However, a 1/2" nail like I use
: wouldn't be sufficient to hold track in place on dirt/weed block.
:
: Also, HO scale track is somewhat fragile. Any ideas on how to
prevent
: having it stepped on? (I'm sure many gardeners have come across a
: similar problem.)
:
: If there's a better newsgroup for this, I don't think my ISP
carries
: it... There's no rec.models.railroads.garden like there is
: rec.models.railroads.ho
:
: --- Short introduction to model railroad scales in general. (For
the
: curious.) ---
:
: Model railroads are railroads built to resemble the full scale
railroads
: that I'm sure everyone has seen or at least crossed their tracks.
: They're built to different sizes (each with their advantages and
: disadvantages) called /scales/ and they usually have letter names.
: scale (1:48 proportion) was one of the original so when trains
came out
: that were roughly half of O scale (1:87) it was called HO for
"Half O."
:
: Puckdropper
: --
: www.uncreativelabs.net
:
: Old computers are getting to be a lost art. Here at Uncreative
Labs, we
: still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how
far a
: particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to
remind
: ourselves of what we once had.
:
: To email me directly, send a message to puckdropper (at)
fastmail.fm