Old 04-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Piscanthropus Profundus wrote:

I've purchased a bit of property that I'm looking to build a new home on in a few years. It's fairly heavy clay and quite wet in the spring and autumn. I'm looking for plants that both tolerate wet feet and will also absorb a fair amount of water. I'm in zone
5 - Niagara.

Well, Duh, people, you keep overlooking the Japanese Iris! Just about
perfect for boggy areas. Look it up: Iris ensata.

Hemmaholic

I would consider intentionally planting taprooted weeds for a few
years. And I mean in great quantity (it may take a bit of seed
collecting, but all of them are very prolific), ten per square foot or
so. Mow them once a year in the fall to prevent woody growth. Each
taproot will become a drainage channel once the plant dies, and for a
mature plant the root will go down four to six feet.
At the same time the organic content of the soil is improved to great
depth.

Dock, burdock, chicory and dandelion are the best. Only dock really
prefers wet soil but, being weeds, they are very adaptable. Other
taprooted plants become too woody to revert easily to a lawn.
Incidentally, I have done it and it works. Right now you can find
burdock burrs in weedlots, dock seeds (available in july) disappear
fast because they are a major winter staple for a variety of critters.
Chicory seeds become available around august. If the neighbors complain
you will be limited to chicory and dandelion,which are less
conspicuously weeds, and which is what I used.
simy1
With no disrespect to the other posters, what I see being suggested are some invasive plants that many would consider weeds. I would rather know what you want to accomplish with the suggested plant material. Do you want plants that will thrive under the current growing conditions until you build and then remove them, do you want plants that will enrich the soil until you build or do you just want a list for planting after you build?

I think it's important to address the wet conditions, especially if you are going to build. Take a look at this site for some helpful info on drainage.
http://www.cuyahogaswcd.org/yard_drainage.htm

If you want to cover the soil with plants that can be turned or mowed for organic matter to improve the soil, consider planting natives. They will be less trouble for you now and later when you might want to change things. The best way to improve the soil would be to add organic matter. You don't say how large the property is, but a covering of leaves, shredded newspaper, lawn clippings, etc would be helpful.

I suppose more information would be helpful. If you just want a list of plants for your garden after you build, that would be easy to do. We would need the sun conditions as well.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.