Old 04-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot
I have a small garden.. about 8feet square , I plant tomatoes & cukes mainly
& have experimented with a little of some other stuff, but mainly just wants
those 2, about 1/2 dozen plants each... anyway last season the cukes didn't
grew worth a damn & were practically growing yellow & rotting fast... am I
lacking nitrogen in the soil, I have heard about it but never experienced
it? TIA

Rob

Hi Rob,
It sounds like you have a disease or fungus in the soil. The problem with very small garden spaces arises when the same veggies or veggies of the same family are grown year after year. You should find this helpful.
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/outdoors/93

From this site by Eliot Coleman (the best authority I know of for organic gardening):
http://www.americanprofile.com/issue...0910ne_311.asp
"Alternate vegetables with green manures, such as red clover and buckwheat."

I would suggest that you either grow veggies from a different family for the next two to three years and grow your tomatoes and cukes in containers in a different area. Also, keep the soil covered with a cover crop (green manure).
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/covercrop.html#principle

Here are some possibilities for your cuke problems.
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/CMVDBC.htm
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/RHIDBC.htm
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/EBLDBC.htm
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/VERDBC.htm

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.