Old 02-02-2005, 06:52 PM
longshot

Default nitrogen starved?

I have a small garden.. about 8feet square , I plant tomatoes & cukes mainly
& have experimented with a little of some other stuff, but mainly just wants
those 2, about 1/2 dozen plants each... anyway last season the cukes didn't
grew worth a damn & were practically growing yellow & rotting fast... am I
lacking nitrogen in the soil, I have heard about it but never experienced
it? TIA

Rob

Old 04-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot
I have a small garden.. about 8feet square , I plant tomatoes & cukes mainly
& have experimented with a little of some other stuff, but mainly just wants
those 2, about 1/2 dozen plants each... anyway last season the cukes didn't
grew worth a damn & were practically growing yellow & rotting fast... am I
lacking nitrogen in the soil, I have heard about it but never experienced
it? TIA

Rob

Hi Rob,
It sounds like you have a disease or fungus in the soil. The problem with very small garden spaces arises when the same veggies or veggies of the same family are grown year after year. You should find this helpful.
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/outdoors/93

From this site by Eliot Coleman (the best authority I know of for organic gardening):
http://www.americanprofile.com/issue...0910ne_311.asp
"Alternate vegetables with green manures, such as red clover and buckwheat."

I would suggest that you either grow veggies from a different family for the next two to three years and grow your tomatoes and cukes in containers in a different area. Also, keep the soil covered with a cover crop (green manure).
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/covercrop.html#principle

Here are some possibilities for your cuke problems.
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/CMVDBC.htm
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/RHIDBC.htm
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/EBLDBC.htm
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/VERDBC.htm

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Newt

longshot Wrote:
I have a small garden.. about 8feet square , I plant tomatoes & cukes
mainly
& have experimented with a little of some other stuff, but mainly just
wants
those 2, about 1/2 dozen plants each... anyway last season the cukes
didn't
grew worth a damn & were practically growing yellow & rotting fast...
am I
lacking nitrogen in the soil, I have heard about it but never
experienced
it? TIA

Rob

Hi Rob,
It sounds like you have a disease or fungus in the soil. The problem
with very small garden spaces arises when the same veggies or veggies
of the same family are grown year after year. You should find this
helpful.
http://tinyurl.com/5edg5

From this site by Eliot Coleman (the best authority I know of for
organic gardening):
http://tinyurl.com/4z7k4

http://tinyurl.com/62ho9

--
Newt

Old 16-02-2005, 06:55 AM

try this. in the spring before rototilling , put a good coat of
topdressing sand on the soil. it's cheep . sounds to me you have to much
fertilizer if your quks are truning yellow or your giving to much water.
the sand will deff. help.

Starved to death? ba5416 Ponds 18 07-04-2005 02:44 PM
Put partially decayed wood mulch on garden -- Nitrogen? Dave Gardening 4 20-04-2003 05:20 PM
How to read Hach Low range Nitrate Nitrogen test kit James Ervin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 19-04-2003 12:56 PM
Mulch leeching nitrogen Rita Bogna Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Nitrogen Inoculant for sugar pea, "Little Sweetie" Paul Hand Gardening 3 13-03-2003 09:08 PM