Old 04-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Newt

longshot Wrote:
I have a small garden.. about 8feet square , I plant tomatoes & cukes
mainly
& have experimented with a little of some other stuff, but mainly just
wants
those 2, about 1/2 dozen plants each... anyway last season the cukes
didn't
grew worth a damn & were practically growing yellow & rotting fast...
am I
lacking nitrogen in the soil, I have heard about it but never
experienced
it? TIA

Rob

Hi Rob,
It sounds like you have a disease or fungus in the soil. The problem
with very small garden spaces arises when the same veggies or veggies
of the same family are grown year after year. You should find this
helpful.
http://tinyurl.com/5edg5

From this site by Eliot Coleman (the best authority I know of for
organic gardening):
http://tinyurl.com/4z7k4
"Alternate vegetables with green manures, such as red clover and
buckwheat."

I would suggest that you either grow veggies from a different family
for the next two to three years and grow your tomatoes and cukes in
containers in a different area. Also, keep the soil covered with a
cover crop (green manure).
http://tinyurl.com/62ho9

Here are some possibilities for your cuke problems.
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/CMVDBC.htm
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/RHIDBC.htm
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/EBLDBC.htm
http://ftsg.ifas.ufl.edu/VERDBC.htm